- The Washington Times - Friday, February 22, 2008

DALLAS, TEXAS Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s campaign day began with tragedy as a campaign stop in Dallas was marred by the death of a city police officer. Just as her campaign motorcade came within a few miles of her first stop today, a motorcade officer lost control of his motorcycle, was thrown to the ground and later died on his way to the hospital. “I have just learned of the tragic death of a Dallas police officer, who died as he was escorting us here on his motorcycle during the motorcade. I have asked the Dallas chief of police to express my condolences to the families. This is just heart-wrenching for me, for all of us,” Mrs. Clinton said.

Video: Police officer dies while escorting Clinton She called the officer’s death a great loss for the city of Dallas and its people. The victim, identified as Victor Lozado, was a 20-year veteran of the Dallas Police Department. “And you know, this is another reminder of the dangers our police officers face, risking their lives everyday to protect us,” Mrs. Clinton said. The traveling motorcade drove by the accident in which the front end of the officer’s motorcycle was shattered, and his helmet lay on the ground in a pool of red. It was clear that the accident was serious, but no one knew how serious until after Mrs. Clinton’s campaign stop came to a close. In fact, Mrs. Clinton, who may have seen the accident, was not aware of its severity until seconds before she addressed the press. She was visibly stunned and shaken by what she had heard, coming to the realization that she would be announcing the officer’s death to the nation at the same time she spoke the words. Sen. Clinton, after learning of the officer’s death, cut short her day and went to meet with the family at the hospital. “Because of this tragedy, I know you all understand we cannot have a rally,” she told the sizable crowd that greeted her in Fort Worth. “I know that you all have come here, and I thank you for being here, but it would be inappropriate to do so now.” The officer’s death put a temporary end to any political campaigning for the afternoon. She remained with the family through the afternoon until her plane took off for Columbus, Ohio.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide