Saturday, February 23, 2008



Girl admits guilt in bus assault

One of the Baltimore teenagers charged in the beating of a 26-year-old woman aboard a transit bus has admitted her role in the attack.

The girl on Thursday pleaded “involved,” the equivalent of guilty in juvenile court, to charges of second-degree assault and conspiracy to commit first-degree assault.

The girl was one of nine students from Robert Poole Middle School charged in the December beating of Sarah Kreager. Cases against three of the students have been delayed, and proceedings against five others were to resume yesterday.

A statement of facts read by prosecutors said the students on the bus “rose up en masse” to join the fight. Attorneys for the accused teens have said Miss Kreager provoked the attack by spitting on a student and that her boyfriend used a racial slur.


Soldier privacy plan passes in House

It would be a crime to use the name of a dead service member in a for-profit enterprise without relatives’ permission under a bill passed unanimously yesterday in the Maryland House of Delegates.

The bill exempts news agencies that report on deaths of members of the Armed Forces, and it would also exempt political speech and artistic expressions.

Violations of the proposed law would be misdemeanors punishable by fines of $2,500 or a year in jail.

The bill passed 136-0 and now heads to the Senate.


Man caught after 1965 prison escape

A fugitive who escaped from a Maryland prison 43 years ago has been captured in rural North Carolina, the U.S. Marshals Service says.

A marshals service spokesman said 81-year-old Willie Carroll Parker walked away from the Eastern Correctional Camp in 1965.

He was sentenced to 40 years for robbery with a deadly weapon.

Federal marshals found Parker on Wednesday afternoon in Clinton, N.C.

Authorities went to a house where Parker was living and arrested him.

Officials said Maryland authorities discovered Parker had a North Carolina driver’s license while reviewing old cases, and marshals went to the address listed on his license.

Maryland corrections spokesman Mark Vernarelli said prison officials helped the investigation by searching the system’s paper records from the 1950s.

Authorities say Parker lived all over the country and was arrested several times under different identities.



Man charged with illegal dentistry

Fairfax County police yesterday said a man from the Falls Church area has been charged with operating an illegal dentistry practice out of his home.

Officers searched Oscar Ruano-Gonzalez’s home Tuesday on Poplar Lane and found a fully functional dental office in the basement. Police said Mr. Ruano-Gonzalez was performing dental work on an adult, and several other people were waiting for service.

Mr. Ruano-Gonzalez was charged with one count of performing an invasive procedure without a license and one count of possession of drug paraphernalia. Police said more charges are possible.


Grand jury indicts 3 in sailor’s death

A federal grand jury has indicted the wife of a sailor found dead in a parked car last year and two others on charges including conspiracy to commit murder for hire.

Officials say Catherina Voss, 32, and Michael Draven, 27, both of Newport News, engaged in a murder-for-hire plot to kill Cory Voss, 30, to obtain life insurance proceeds and other Navy benefits.

Authorities think the pair hired David Runyon, 37, of Morgantown, W.Va., to kill Navy officer Voss, who was stationed aboard the USS Elrod in Norfolk.

Authorities say Mr. Voss went to use an ATM at about 11 p.m. on April 29. His wife reported him missing the next morning. Police later found his body in the driver’s seat of his pickup truck, shot five times.

If convicted, each defendant faces a maximum penalty of life in prison or death.


Man fatally shot by armed guard

Fairfax County police yesterday said a 27-year-old man was killed after a confrontation with an armed security guard outside a Springfield restaurant.

Police said Yordy Adaud Salguero Urmeneta, of 5227 Cather Road in Springfield, was pronounced dead at about 5 a.m. Thursday after he was shot in the chest about four hours earlier.

Police said the security guard was attempting to break up a fight inside Milano Bar and Grill at 6961 Hechinger Drive. The guard told police that, as he was escorting a man out of the restaurant, he was jumped by three or four men, one of whom had a knife.

Police said the guard, a 23-year-old Centreville man who has not been identified, fired one shot and struck the man with the knife in the abdomen.

The other men picked up the gunshot victim and carried him off in a van, police said.

Officers located the van in front of the shooting victim’s home. The van was occupied by three men, including the wounded man. The wounded man was transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital where he died.

No charges have been filed. Police say the investigation is ongoing.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide