- The Washington Times - Sunday, February 24, 2008

Japanese husband accused in death

LOS ANGELES — A Japanese businessman has been arrested on suspicion of murder more than a quarter-century after an infamous downtown shooting that left his wife dead and sparked an international furor, police said.

Kazuyoshi Miura, 60, already had been convicted in Japan in 1994 of the murder of his wife, Kazumi Miura, but that verdict was overturned by the country’s high courts 10 years ago. Mr. Miura was arrested Friday while visiting Saipan, a U.S. commonwealth territory in the Pacific, after cold-case detectives from the Los Angeles Police Department worked with authorities there and in Guam.

“A murder suspect who has been eluding [the] dragnet has been finally captured,” the LAPD said in a press release late Friday. No other details were available yesterday. Because the earlier verdict was obtained under Japanese law in a Japanese court, U.S. courts can still try Mr. Miura.

Mr. Miura and his wife, Kazumi, were visiting Los Angeles on Nov. 18, 1981, when they were shot in a parking lot — he was hit in the leg; his wife in the head. Mr. Miura blamed street robbers in the attack and railed against the violent city from his hospital bed, reinforcing Japanese stereotypes of violence in the U.S.

Service honors sugar-plant workers

SAVANNAH, Ga. — A hardhat was hung in each of the centers of 10 wreaths of white carnations at a memorial service yesterday, one for each of the Imperial Sugar workers killed in an explosion at the company’s nearby refinery.

More than 700 employees of the refinery in Port Wentworth, as well as relatives and friends of the victims of the Feb. 7 blast, gathered at the Savannah Civic Center. The memorial service took place a day after the toll climbed to 10 with the death of an employee who was severely burned.

“I’d like to remember everybody like they were,” said Antonio Washington, who drives a forklift in the refinery warehouse and who couldn’t bring himself to attend the funerals of two friends he last saw the night of the explosion.

Rescuer saves reluctant woman

OGDEN, Utah — A man who kicked down a door to rescue a woman from a burning building was surprised by the greeting he received.

“She was mad at me for coming in,” said Allen Donehoo, a deliveryman who noticed smoke billowing out of the building Friday. “I said, ‘I’m sorry, there’s a fire’ and tried to get her out. She wasn’t coming too easily.”

Smoke was entering the basement apartment even as the woman resisted Mr. Donehoo’s rescue attempt. Mr. Donehoo said she was worried about her cats, which he thinks were all rescued. Investigators believe an unattended candle in another apartment in the building started the fire. There were no injuries.

Boy, 7, hit by ID theft

CARPENTERSVILLE, Ill. — Police in a Chicago suburb say the Internal Revenue Service has told a 7-year-old boy he owes back taxes on $60,000 because someone else has been using the youngster’s identity to collect wages and unemployment benefits.

Officers in suburban Carpentersville said Friday the second-grader’s identity has been in use by someone else since 2001. Detectives have filed a felony identity-theft charge against 29-year-old Cirilo Centeno of Streamwood, Ill.

They accuse Mr. Centeno of using the boy’s personal information to collect more than $60,000 in pay and services while working three jobs. They say he also used the boy’s ID to buy a truck, pay bills and even collect unemployment benefits.

Civil rights pioneer dies at age 97

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Johnnie Carr, who joined childhood friend Rosa Parks in the historic Montgomery bus boycott and kept a busy schedule of civil rights activism up to her final days, has died. She was 97.

Mrs. Carr died Friday night, said Baptist Health hospital spokeswoman Melody Ragland. She had been hospitalized after a stroke Feb. 11.

Mrs. Carr succeeded Martin Luther King Jr. as president of the Montgomery Improvement Association in 1967 — a post she held at her death. In 1964, she was involved in a lawsuit to desegregate Montgomery schools, with her then-13-year-old son, Arlam, as the named plaintiff.

“She hadn’t been sick up until she had the stroke,” Mr. Carr said yesterday. “She was still very active … but it was just one of those things.”

From wire dispatches and staff reports.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide