- The Washington Times - Thursday, July 24, 2008


Judge questions area for Hinckley

A federal judge is questioning whether Williamsburg is the best community for John Hinckley Jr. after testimony that the would-be presidential assassin has been rejected from several volunteer positions there.

U.S. District Judge Paul L. Friedman is considering a mental hospital’s request to lengthen Hinckley’s periodic visits with his family in Virginia. His comments came after testimony from Hinckley’s doctors that several volunteer organizations initially accepted Hinckley, then rejected him.

Hinckley’s mother lives in Williamsburg. But Judge Friedman said the District is a more diverse community and may be more accepting of Hinckley.

Hinckley has been committed to St. Elizabeths Hospital in the District since he shot and wounded President Reagan in 1981.



Man sentenced in D.C. tax scandal

A defendant in a scheme to defraud the D.C. tax office out of nearly $50 million has been sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison.

A federal judge Wednesday sentenced Ricardo Walters, 33, of Fort Washington, for possession of stolen property and money laundering.

Walters is the nephew of the scheme’s purported ringleader, Harriette Walters — a midlevel official in the District’s tax office.

Prosecutors say Miss Walters wrote fake property tax refund checks to shell firms controlled by relatives and friends or in the names of real, unsuspecting companies. They say the scandal cost the city at least $48 million over about two decades.

Ricardo Walters admitted depositing at least three fraudulent checks worth $1.2 million. He was the first person to be sentenced in the scandal.


Police identify man killed by officer

A man killed by a Frederick police officer after rushing at him with a hammer was identified as David Bauman, 52.

The shooting early Tuesday morning at the Elmwood Terrace apartment complex followed two visits by police earlier that night, including one to assist mental-health counselors who had been called to Mr. Bauman’s apartment, Frederick police spokesman Lt. Shawn Martyak said.

Lt. Martyak said both of the incidents ended with authorities deciding Mr. Bauman had committed no crimes and posed no threat to himself or others.

Lt. Martyak said police had made contact with Mr. Bauman for reports of odd behavior on two other occasions since November — one at a previous residence and the other at Fredericktowne Mall.

He said that on both of those occasions, Mr. Bauman was taken to Frederick Memorial Hospital for psychiatric evaluations.


Police name man found with bomb

Baltimore police have released the name of a man found with a small bomb during a scuffle with a University of Maryland, Baltimore officer.

Dallas Smith, 22, is charged with assault, reckless endangerment and concealing a deadly weapon, police said.

City police spokesman Sterling Clifford said the university officer stopped Mr. Smith in the 800 block of West Baltimore Street at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday. Police said Mr. Smith was acting as if he was trying to hide a weapon before the officer began to search him, and that Mr. Smith then began to fight the officer and the bomb fell from his knapsack.


Man gets life in 2006 shooting

A New York City man has received two concurrent life sentences for his role in a Hagerstown shooting that killed a man and wounded another.

Olusegun Ogundipe, 28, was sentenced Tuesday in Washington County Circuit Court. A jury in May convicted him in the July 2006 shooting at the Washington Gardens apartments. Jackson Rodriguez, 22, was killed, and fellow victim Tony Perry lost an eye.

The shooting victims also were from New York City.

At the trial, witness Steven Broadhead testified that Ogundipe held him at gunpoint while another man, Joshua Edwards, shot his friends, Mr. Rodriguez and Mr. Perry. He said the victims had brought cocaine from New York to sell in Hagerstown.

Mr. Edwards is in custody in England and is fighting his return to the U.S.



Man sentenced for teens’ killings

The convicted killer of two Richmond teenagers has been sentenced to 74 years in prison.

Isiah Johnson, 22, was sentenced Wednesday for the slayings last December of K’Von Robinson, 15, and Christopher Harris, 19. Both were killed by single gunshot wounds to the head.

The Richmond man was found guilty in May of two counts of first-degree murder. At his trial, Johnson said he had been drinking, taking pills and thought one of the two teenagers he killed had planned to shoot him.


Father indicted in child’s death

A Fairfax County grand jury has indicted a Loudoun County father who was accused of manslaughter after leaving his 21-month-old son unattended all day in a sport utility vehicle.

The indictment was unsealed Tuesday during an initial court appearance by Miles Harrison, 49, of Purcellville. Mr. Harrison posted $5,000 bond and was released from custody.

Mr. Harrison’s attorney said his client had been in a psychiatric hospital since the child’s death July 8.

Police said Mr. Harrison found his newly adopted son, Chase, dead inside his vehicle more than nine hours after he had arrived at his office in Herndon. Authorities said Mr. Harrison had adopted the boy from Russia earlier this year.

His attorney, Peter Greenspun, said the death was “a tragic accident.”

From wire dispatches and staff reports



Click to Read More

Click to Hide