- The Washington Times - Wednesday, June 18, 2008


Amtrak worker trapped on conveyer

An Amtrak worker suffered serious leg injuries after becoming stuck in a conveyor belt at a rail yard, officials said.

The 49-year-old man got his leg trapped in the device Tuesday at the Ivy City rail yard in Northeast, fire department spokesman Alan Etter said.

Firefighters were able to remove the man’s leg from the conveyor belt, and that he suffered a broken ankle, Mr. Etter said. The man was treated on the scene and then taken to a hospital.

Amtrak and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration are investigating.



Woman donates fortune in art

An Illinois woman donated her collection of 19th century folk art and antiques, valued at $1.7 million, to the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Julie Grainger’s collection will be placed at the Abby Aldrich Rockfeller Folk Art Museum, foundation president and Chief Executive Officer Colin G. Campbell said.

The Winnetka, Ill., resident’s collection includes 11 portraits and a townscape, painted signs, a Fraktur, two tall case clocks, a small blanket chest and a rocking chair.

Mrs. Grainger, her husband David, and the Grainger Foundation are longtime supporters of Colonial Williamsburg.


Bid rigger gets six months

A former vice president of marine products maker Seaward, who admitted to participating in a bid-rigging conspiracy, will spend six months in prison.

William A. Potts also received 180 days of probation at his sentencing Monday in U.S. District Court in Norfolk.

Mr. Potts apologized for his actions. He said he should have “blown the whistle” on the conspiracy, which involved plastic pilings that Clearbrook-based Seaward sold to the Navy and to private companies. Authorities said the bid rigging cost buyers millions of dollars.

At least three other former Seaward employees have pleaded guilty to the conspiracy, which occurred from 2000 to 2003, court records show.


Body found after boat tips

Searchers have found the body of New Jersey man whose sailboat capsized off the Eastern Shore.

The body of Richard Best, 49, was found about 11 a.m. Tuesday near Mattawoman Creek, where the sailboat capsized Monday night on the Chesapeake Bay side of the Eastern Shore, Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Kelley Hall said.

Thunderstorms had swelled the water, Cmdr. Hall said.

A friend who was with Mr. Best, Jeanie Franks, made it to shore and apparently was not injured, Coast Guard Lt. Chris Rosen said.

Mr. Best and Miss Franks, also of New Jersey, had worn life jackets earlier but apparently took them off because they thought the weather would remain calm, Cmdr. Hall said.

The Coast Guard is investigating.



Police pursue escaped minors

State police troopers were looking for two juvenile offenders who escaped from the Victor Cullen Academy in Sabillasville after assaulting a staff member.

The staffer told police he was assaulted by a 14-year-old boy and a 16-year-old boy, 1st Sgt. Chris Sasse said.

Police went to the younger boy’s homes in Prince George’s County and Baltimore, but didn’t find them, Sgt. Sasse said.

Police aren’t releasing the names of the suspects because they are juveniles.


State targets illegal slots

Comptroller Peter Franchot said his office will be taking aim at illegal slot machines in the state.

Enforcement agents will begin inspecting for gambling violations in businesses with liquor licenses to crack down on growing numbers of video games that are really slot machines is disguise, Mr. Franchot said.

The comptroller’s office regulates alcohol products and inspects hundreds of bars to make sure they comply with the law.

The General Assembly banned many of the illegal machines in the last session. Video poker machines, which tend to be in establishments in Baltimore city and Baltimore County, were exempted.

Voters will decide in a November referendum whether to legalize up to 15,000 slot machines in five specific locations.


Railroad spike falls onto car

A Martinsburg, W.Va., man narrowly escaped injury when a spike fell from a railroad bridge and smashed a side window on his vehicle, State Police said.

The spike fell Sunday afternoon as Paul Martz drove beneath the bridge on Route 34 here. Workers were replacing cross ties on the bridge, but it’s not known why the spike fell, police said.

While the railroad was not fined or charged, it could be held civilly responsible.


Police kill man after stopping fight

A man was killed in a police shooting in East Baltimore, authorities said.

It happened about 2:40 a.m. Tuesday in the first block of South Robinson Street, near Baltimore Street.

Officers broke up a fight between two men and arrested one of them, police said.

The man was being patted down by an officer and reached for a gun, police spokesman Detective Donny Moses said.

That’s when, an officer fired several times. The man ran, then collapsed a short distance away and died at the scene, police said.

Nancy Worrell said the man was her son, Bryant. Her son was developmentally disabled and recently graduated from a special high school, she said.

As police searched him, they choked him, Mrs Worrell claimed. Her son was shot in the back after he broke away, she said.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide