- The Washington Times - Sunday, November 23, 2008

BLACKSBURG, Va. | It was Sean Glennon to the rescue again for Virginia Tech.

Sort of.

On a frigid night when just about nothing went right on offense for either team, Glennon relieved an ineffective and turnover-prone Tyrod Taylor late in the first half Saturday, directed a critical 86-yard touchdown march and kept the Hokies on track to win the Coastal Division title in the ACC - and return to the league championship game.

“When things happen, he just comes in and he did what he had to do,” said Jarrett Boykin, who caught Glennon’s 19-yard touchdown pass 38 seconds before halftime.

The 14-3 win keeps the Hokies (7-4, 4-3) in position to successfully defend its division title next week when archrival Virginia visits Lane Stadium.

“We’re not always pretty, but all I know is we’re one win away from battling for the ACC championship,” Virginia Tech coach Frank Beamer said.

Glennon, who lost his job to the more mobile Taylor early in the year, was called on after Taylor threw two interceptions and fumbled the ball away twice in the first half. Just as he had last year when Taylor got hurt, Glennon made enough key plays to lift the Hokies.

“Like usual, I’ll stay ready in case my number is called,” Glennon said.

His pass to Boykin capped an 11-play march and was the first touchdown catch by one of the Hokies’ wide receivers this year.

Glennon was 12-for-20 for 132 yards and was sacked three times, and on a night when temperatures started in the high 20s and dropped, his one hot streak was all it took.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More

Click to Hide