- The Washington Times - Thursday, November 6, 2008


Police hurt trying to break up party

LITTLE ROCK | Police arrested seven people after a melee at an impromptu Barack Obama victory celebration near the campus of Arkansas State University. Three police officers suffered minor injuries.

A female officer’s nose was broken when a man jumped on top of her and punched her without provocation, Jonesboro police Capt. Lynn Waterworth said.

About 200 people gathered at an apartment complex about a block away from campus in northeast Arkansas after Mr. Obama was declared the winner of the presidential election Tuesday night, Capt. Waterworth said. An off-duty officer moonlighting as a security guard for the apartment complex asked those who had gathered to go home, then called for help, she said.

Two on-duty officers arrived at the apartment complex, with the female officer calling to the crowd over her cruiser’s public-address system, Capt. Waterworth said. The crowd responded by throwing rocks and beer bottles at police, with one man attacking the female officer, she said.


Man freed after two-month detention

LOS ANGELES | A U.S. citizen who was held for two months in a Southern California detention center said immigration officials refused to believe his birth certificate was real.

Jose Ledesma, 25, said he’s happy to be free after facing possible deportation. He was released Monday after U.S. immigration attorneys asked a judge to dismiss the case.

Mr. Ledesma said he was born in Madera County, Calif., and had twice provided government attorneys with a copy of his California birth certificate. The government said he provided conflicting information on whether he was a U.S. citizen or a Mexican citizen in the U.S. illegally.

Mr. Ledesma served nearly three years in federal prison on a marijuana charge. He was at least the fifth U.S. citizen detained and ordered deported since 2007.


LBJ photographer at swearing-in dies

MERRITT ISLAND | Cecil Stoughton, the White House photographer who shot the iconic image of Lyndon B. Johnson taking the oath of office aboard Air Force One, has died. He was 88.

Mr. Stoughton died Monday evening at his Florida home, his son Jamie Stoughton said Tuesday. He had struggled with health problems after having a hip replaced a few years ago, his children said.

Born in 1920 in Oskaloosa, Iowa, Mr. Stoughton was John F. Kennedy’s White House photographer and followed the president during both public victories and private family moments.

His famous picture of Mr. Johnson’s grim swearing-in ceremony in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963, shows Mr. Johnson in the cramped Air Force One airplane cabin with Jacqueline Kennedy at his side.

“If his camera had failed, who knows what would have happened. It was the only proof that Johnson had been sworn in,” Jamie Stoughton said.

Cecil Stoughton was also able to capture some lighter moments of the first family at the White House. One of his favorite pictures showed Mr. Kennedy standing in the Oval Office, clapping as his children played and danced, Jamie Stoughton said.


Duct tape used to restrain passenger

RALEIGH | An airline crew used duct tape to keep a passenger in her seat because they say she became unruly, fighting flight attendants and grabbing other passengers, forcing the flight to land in North Carolina.

Maria Esther Castillo of Oswego, N.Y., is due in court Thursday, charged with resisting arrest and interfering with the operations of a flight crew aboard United Airlines Flight 645, from Puerto Rico to Chicago.

Miss Castillo, 45, struck a flight attendant on the buttocks with the back of her hand during Saturday’s flight, FBI Special Agent Peter Carricato said in a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Charlotte. She also stood and fell onto the head of a blind passenger and later started pulling the person’s hair, the complaint stated.

Ankle cuffs kept slipping off Miss Castillo, so the flight crew and two passengers were forced to use duct tape to keep her in her seat, the complaint states.

FBI spokeswoman Amy Thoreson on Wednesday declined to comment on the ongoing investigation.


Teen survives trash compactor

MILWAUKEE | A teenage boy has survived after being accidentally dumped into the back of a recycling truck and compacted, police said.

Police said the 14-year-old ran away from a boot camp-style school for teens Monday and hid in a recycling bin filled with cardboard.

The bin was picked up by a Waste Management truck and dumped into the vehicle’s rear compactor.

Waste Management spokeswoman Lynn Morgan said the truck continued on its collection route, compacting cardboard several times.

The boy wasn’t discovered until the truck dumped its load at a recycling processing center.

He was semiconscious and was taken to a hospital, but police said his injuries aren’t life-threatening.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide