- The Washington Times - Saturday, November 8, 2008

BISMARCK, N.D. | Crews fought mud and water Friday as they tried to restore power after a fierce storm spread a wintry mix across the Dakotas. Meanwhile, authorities worked to remove snow-stranded vehicles that littered an interstate highway hours after their occupants were rescued.

Blizzard warnings subsided, but thousands of customers in rural areas remained without power because of freezing rain and high winds. Winter has left its telltale signature on the frozen landscape as well - the branches of towering pines are weighty with ice and snow.

The Nodak Rural Electric Cooperative said it was trying to restore power to about 4,500 rural customers. Nodak President George Berg said that some areas got about 5 inches of rain, and that the freezing rain and winds toppled power lines and poles along a 40-mile path in five counties.

“Our biggest obstacle is not the snow, but all the mud and water,” Mr. Berg said. One crew in northern Nelson County had to use a motorboat to reach a downed power pole submerged in water, he said.

North Dakota’s deer hunting season opened Friday, and Steele County Sheriff Wayne Beckman worried that some hunters could mistake power crews for deer. Hunters and farmers should also be cautious of downed power lines, he said.

“It’s dangerous out there; those fully charged lines could come down and, ‘zappo,’” he said.

Major North Dakota roads reopened Friday after blizzard conditions in the central and western parts of the state, but officials warned they were still icy and snow-covered.

In South Dakota, the Highway Patrol worked through the night to rescue people stranded in their vehicles on snow-clogged highways in the western part of the state. About 300 people had been helped by Friday morning, authorities told reporters.

Tom Dravland, secretary of the South Dakota Department of Public Safety, said he doubted all the stranded trucks, cars, campers and other vehicles could be removed from the western sections of Interstate 90 by Friday’s end.

The storm dropped at least 45 inches of snow near Deadwood, S.D., in the Black Hills. In southwestern South Dakota, 20-foot snowdrifts were reported on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. In both Dakotas, dozens of schools, agencies, businesses and attractions, including Mount Rushmore National Memorial, had to close.

The storm also disrupted travel and electrical service for a time in Nebraska. About 4,500 customers were without power at the height of the storm, but most lights were back on by Friday morning, said Mark Becker, a spokesman for Nebraska Public Power District.

More than a foot of snow fell near the small town of Voltaire, in north-central North Dakota. The rural home of retirees Ursula and Donald Wunderlich was surrounded by 50-foot-tall spruce and pine trees heavy with snow and ice.

“Those branches are loaded with snow,” Mrs. Wunderlich said, “and if they break, they could really cause some whoop-de-do around here.”

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide