THURSDAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
It’s Round 1 of Ovechkin vs. Crosby when the Capitals play at Pittsburgh. 7:30 p.m., CSN
LOCAL POWER RANKINGS
It will be interesting to see how the new Redskins running back is used by Jim Zorn, with his desire to give Clinton Portis most of the carries and Ladell Betts expected back early next month.
He’s played one game at defense for the Capitals, and it was amazing how efficient their transition game was because of his skating ability, vision and never-panic-in-own-zone mentality. Keep him there.
It cost the wallets at Clemson around $3.5 million to tell Tommy Bowden to go away. Ralph’s agent is a smart guy - his buyout if canned this year would be at least $5.5 million and maybe more.
If the Wizards’ first few preseason games are any indication, Caron better be ready to take roughly 92 shots a game and get the rare quintuple double - points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals.
After a 2-0 start to the season, the Ravens‘ rookie quarterback is discovering how quickly things can switch back to reality. Baltimore (2-3) could be in for a long season.
TWT FIVE Area nonconference basketball games to watch
1. Nov. 30 (potentially) - If Maryland and Georgetown win their first two games of the Old Spice Classic in Orlando, Fla., it’s Gary vs. JT3.
2. Dec. 7, Maryland vs. George Washington and Navy vs. Virginia Tech - The Terrapins make it to Verizon Center, but the Hoyas aren’t the opponent.
3. Dec. 13, Memphis at Georgetown - The national title runners-up may not have Derrick Rose, but John Calipari will bring some athletes to the District.
4. Dec. 22, Tulane at George Mason - The Patriots don’t have any huge nonconference games this season and Tulane from Conference USA is the only “major” conference opponent to visit.
5. Dec. 22, American at Maryland - The Eagles, who reached the NCAA tournament last year, will try to make it two straight wins in College Park.