- The Washington Times - Tuesday, October 28, 2008

CONWAY, Ark. | A shooting that left two students dead at the University of Central Arkansas did not appear to be random, authorities said Monday as the school’s president pronounced the campus secure.

Two suspects were being questioned and two others were being sought after Sunday night’s shooting, which wounded a third person at the 12,500-student campus.

Though investigators have not determined a motive for the shooting, “It does not seem at this time that it was a random act,” campus police Lt. Preston Grumbles said.

Interim President Tom Courtway canceled classes Monday but said they would resume Tuesday. “Our campus is safe,” he said.



The victims were shot in an alley between a dormitory and the Snow Fine Arts Center. One victim died on the sidewalk; police said the others rushed into the dorm, where paramedics found them.

Student T.J. Frix of Russellville said he heard five gunshots as he studied for a communication exam in his dorm room.

“I was like, ‘Maybe it’s just fireworks,’ ” he said.

But soon, two bleeding men lay in the hallway right outside his room. Mr. Frix said he saw the surviving victim writhing on the floor in pain from his leg wound. Two resident advisers performed CPR on the other man before paramedics rushed into the dorm, Mr. Frix said.

University police Lt. Rhonda Swindle said one person being questioned had turned himself in, another was pulled over by police during the night, and police think they know the identities of two other suspects.

All four are male, none are students and no one has been arrested, police said.

Lt. Swindle identified the dead as Ryan Henderson, 18, and Chavares Block, 19 - both students. A non-student, Martrevis Norman of Blytheville, who was shot in one leg, was released from a hospital after treatment.

“This is just an awful tragedy. It’s the worst thing that can happen on a college campus,” said Mr. Courtway, the interim president. “We have start looking at everything.”

Late Monday morning, blood could still be seen on the sidewalk of the alley where the shootings occurred. A male student wept at the otherwise empty crime scene.

The rest of the campus was quiet as police cars cruised the streets and officers roamed the grounds in flak jackets.

Faculty and students received calls and e-mails through an automated system shortly after 9:30 p.m. Sunday warning them of the shooting and urging them to stay inside behind locked doors.

School spokesman Warwick Sabin said it was the first use of the university’s new emergency e-mail and phone-call system, purchased last year after a gunman at Virginia Tech killed 32 people and himself.

Lt. Swindle said investigators would examine video recorded by surveillance cameras, which also were installed after the Virginia Tech massacre.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide