Sunday, October 5, 2008

For up-to-the-minute scores and statistics as the Washington Redskins play the Philadelphia Eagles, click here.


What happened: The Eagles took the opening kickoff and crisply moved 80 yards in 12 plays for a touchdown, dividing the plays equally between runs and passes. With quarterback Jason Campbell under heavy pressure, the Redskins went three and out, and rookie DeSean Jackson returned Durant Brooks’ 37-yard punt for a touchdown for a 14-0 Eagles lead. Two running plays by Clinton Portis netted a first down, but the Redskins stalled again. Philly moved into Redskins territory, but David Akers missed a 50-yard field goal.

Analysis: With running back Brian Westbrook back from an ankle injury, the Eagles picked the Redskins defense apart, and Jackson continued to show his explosiveness. When Washington had the ball, strong pressure and good coverage limited Campbell’s effectiveness. The best news for the Redskins was Westbrook leaving the field late in the quarter with an injury apparently unrelated to the ankle.


What happened: The Redskins drove from their 47 to the Eagles’ 23 before a penalty on center Casey Rabach killed the drive, and Shaun Suisham’s 41-yard field goal made it 14-3. Westbrook returned to the game. The Redskins held, although Carlos Rogers dropped a sure interception, and Sav Rocca’s punt was downed at the Redskins 3. Campbell and the Redskins patiently worked into position for Suisham’s 48-yard field goal that made it 14-6. With less than two minutes left, Suisham’s kickoff went out of bounds. Philly got the ball on their 40 but did nothing. Taking over on their 18 with 55 seconds left, Campbell skillfully guided the Redskins 50 yards to set up Suisham’s 50-yard field goal in the closing seconds.

Analysis: Even though they still trailed and failed to score a touchdown, the Redskins essentially assumed control of the game by stuffing the Eagles on defense and mixing the run with the pass to generate an effective offense.


What happened: The Redskins went three plays and out with the kickoff, but continued to shut down the Philly attack. Portis’ bullish, 21-yard run and receptions by Randle El and Thomas keyed the Redskins’next drive, which consumed 75 yards and concluded with Randle El’s end-around, 18-yard touchdown pass to Chris Cooley for a 16-14 lead. Philly went three and out again. Devin Thomas’ penalty helped stop the Redskins next drive, but the Eagles’ futility continued on offense. Randle El’s punt return combined with a 15-yard personal foul flag put the Redskins on the Eagles’ 43. Portis ran 27 yards to the Eagles 7 and Betts three yards to the 4 as the quarter ended.

Analysis: The Redskins continued to dominate on both sides of the ball. Campbell got good protection and continued to dissect the Eagles’ defense. Portis got excellent blocking for the most part, and when he ran over would-be tacklers. Even though they generated little pass rush, the Redskins hemmed in quarterback Donovan McNabb and rendered the Eagles’ running game useless.

Copyright © 2023 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide