Thursday’s best bet on television
Game 1 of the NLCS - Los Angeles at Philadelphia. 8 p.m., Chs. 5, 45
LOCAL POWER RANKINGS
He helped carry the Redskins in their win at Philadelphia and earned NFC offensive player of the week honors. The key is keeping Portis healthy for the Week 9 and 11 games against Pittsburgh and Dallas.
The expectations for the Capitals are unmatched compared with previous seasons, and the Moscow Dynamo is a big reason why. Starting Friday in Atlanta, we get to see if they can deliver.
The former Redskins associate head coach returns Sunday as the St. Louis Rams’ offensive boss. It might be weird for Al to be calling plays at FedEx and not have his head coach meddle with the process.
The Wizards’ injury misery continued Tuesday when Jamison suffered a knee contusion against Dallas. Already without Gilbert Arenas, the Wizards are in deep trouble if the second piece of their trifecta misses time.
The calf surgery has kept him out for two games, and he did no work in practice on Wednesday. At 4-1, the Redskins should do the no-brainer thing: Sit him out another week just to be precautious.
TWT FIVE ” Largest point spreads favoring Redskins since 1985
1. Nov. 5, 1989, Dallas, 14.5 points - The Redskins lost to the Cowboys 13-3 in what would be Jimmy Johnson’s first - and only win - of his rookie season.
2. Sept. 22, 1985, Philadelphia, 14 points - The Redskins lost to Philadelphia 19-6 on four Paul McFadden field goals and one Randall Cunningham touchdown pass.
3. Sept. 23, 1990, Dallas, 14 points - Although they gained only 214 yards, the Redskins beat Dallas 19-15.
4. Oct. 13, 1991, Cleveland, 14 points - Ricky Ervins rushed for 133 yards and Art Monk had 106 yards receiving in a 42-17 victory.
5. Dec. 8, 1991, Arizona, 14 points - Down 14-0 at halftime, the Redskins rallied for a 20-14 victory. Terry Orr and Ricky Sanders caught touchdown passes.