NEWSMAKERS “ WHO’S MAKING HEADLINES THIS WEEK
Seven-time Tour de France winner comes out of retirement - cycling’s premier race no longer completely irrelevant.
Patriots backup, who hasn’t started since high school, thrust into the spotlight after Brady’s injury. Does this mean he gets Gisele, too?
Titans worried when quarterback goes M.I.A. after sustaining knee injury in Week 1. His 45.6 quarterback rating should be the bigger concern.
Wins 13th Grand Slam title to move one closer to Sampras and delay the true start of the Nadal Era until 2009.
If someone wins the PGA Tour’s FedEx Cup and nobody notices, does it actually count?
TWT FIVE “ COMEBACKS THAT SHOULDN’T HAPPEN
1. Lance Armstrong - Does he really want to endure another year of doping allegations in the world’s most scandal-plagued sport? That’s more difficult than any alpine pass.
2. Joe Gibbs - The NFL appeared to have passed him by in his first comeback, plus he’s too busy speaking at the RNC and cheating in NASCAR.
3. Michael Strahan - The last time Strahan was involved in something as rehearsed as the Giants-Redskins intro, Brett Favre was laying down so he could break the sack record.
4. Vinny Testaverde - The Patriots are desperate for quarterback help … just not that desperate.
5. Michael Jordan - Although there’s a good chance a 45-year-old Jordan is better than anyone on the Bobcats’ roster.
TODAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
The Rays conclude their three-game series with the Red Sox as they try to hold on to the American League East lead. 7 p.m., ESPN