- The Washington Times - Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Carlos Rogers interception early in the fourth quarter set up Jason Campbell‘s 17-yard touchdown pass to Santana Moss, giving the Washington Redskins a 24-17 win over the Arizona Cardinals today at FedEx Field.

The Redskins (2-1) go into the most difficult part of their schedule - games at Dallas and Philadelphia the next two weeks - with a two-game winning streak.

Arizona dropped to 2-1.

On the turnover, Kurt Warner was throwing downfield and Redskins cornerback Leigh Torrence deflected the pass. Rogers caught the ball and returned it 42 yards to the Cardinals’ 15. Two plays later, Campbell threw a slip screen to Moss for the touchdown with 12:10 remaining.

The Redskins’ defense made a last stand in the final four minutes. After a missed Shaun Suisham field goal, the Cardinals took over at their own 42. But Arizona went three-and-out and never got the ball back.

Click here for a photo gallery of today’s game.

Campbell finished 23 of 31 for 193 yards and two touchdowns. It’s only the second time in his career he has won two consecutive starts.

Moss and Chris Cooley each caught seven passes.

The Redskins, who had red zone problems in last week’s first half against New Orleans, promptly punched it in during their opening drive today. Clinton Portis went over the left side for a 3-yard touchdown to cap an 11-play, 60-yard drive. The Redskins converted two third downs: A 10-yard Campbell to Portis pass on third-and-8 and a Portis 2-yard run on third-and-1 from the Cardinals 7.

A Suisham 48-yard field goal - no holding problems by rookie Durant Brooks this time - made it 10-0 early in the second quarter. The drive was set up by a fumble recovery by Carlos Rogers (forced by Rocky McIntosh). The Redskins went backwards, though, when rookie Devin Thomas was called for the second of his two first-half offensive pass interference penalties.

Arizona got going with an 84-yard drive that was capped by Warner’s 4-yard touchdown pass to Anquan Boldin just inside the goal-line. Rogers kept the possession alive with a 12-yard pass interference call on third-and-9.

The third quarter was wild, with the teams combining for 241 yards of offense.

Like last week against the Saints, the Redskins’ defense couldn’t produce a stop to open the second half. Arizona used a roughing the passer penalty on Fred Smoot to tie the game on Neil Rackers’ 26-yard field goal. The big play was a third-and-9 conversion.

The Redskins answered with an 80-yard scoring drive to re-take the lead on Campbell’s 2-yard pass to Todd Yoder. Portis had a great play-action fake, allowing Campbell to roll right and find Yoder. Earlier in the drive, Antwaan Randle El threw 11 yards to Cooley and two plays later, Cooley took a short pass and went 16 yards.

Arizona didn’t waste time to tie it, as Warner went deep down the middle to Larry Fitzgerald for a 62-yard score. The Redskins appeared to be in zone coverage and Rogers left Fitzgerald for safety Reed Doughty. But Doughty was caught flat footed and Fitzgerald was wide open.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide