- The Washington Times - Saturday, September 27, 2008

BOSTON | Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, who has been in treatment for brain cancer, was taken by ambulance to a hospital near his Cape Cod vacation home Friday after complaining of feeling ill but he returned home a few hours later.

A statement issued by his office attributed the episode to a change in medications.

Sen. John Kerry said his fellow Massachusetts Democrat was well and hoped to be home to watch the evening’s presidential debate between Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama.

A 911 call from the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port came at about 5 p.m. Friday, said Barnstable police Sgt. Ben Baxter. Mr. Kennedy was taken to Cape Cod Hospital and was “alert and responsive” during the trip, Sgt. Baxter said.

The senator’s office confirmed he returned home at about 8 p.m.

Mr. Kennedy had a seizure in May and underwent surgery in June for a malignant brain tumor. After undergoing six weeks of chemotherapy and radiation treatment, he has been steadily increasing his public activity.

Mr. Kennedy had received a visit Tuesday from Chilean President Michelle Bachelet at his home in his first public appearance since he gave a surprise speech in late August at the Democratic National Convention.

At the meeting, the senator stumbled momentarily as he tried to walk on the thick grass, but he quickly regained his balance.

He also made a surprise return to Capitol Hill in July to vote on a Medicare bill. In early September, Mr. Kennedy announced he would not return to the Senate until January, but has since held videoconferences with his staff and members of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, which he leads.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide