WEDNESDAY’S BEST BET ON TELEVISION
See undeclared recruit Lance Stephenson (who’s considering Maryland) in the McDonald’s All-American Game. 8 p.m., ESPN
NEWSMAKERS ” WHO’S MAKING HEADLINES THIS WEEK
His appearance on “60 Minutes” shows his mass appeal for more than a basketball audience.
His shot, 17 years to the day to Christian Laettner’s, will go down in Philadelphia history.
The former VCU coach has a chance to rebuild quickly in a shallow SEC.
Now at Kentucky, he has a chance to dominate in a shallow SEC.
Even as he dominates, it’s must-see TV every single time. Stay tuned for the Masters.
TWT FIVE: RIDICULOUS NCAA POLICIES
This list could be 35 items long, but here’s a look at a select few:
1. Vacating wins - OK, violations happen, but ripping banners down and “vacating” championships is absurd.
2. Ripping down everything else - Every time a venue hosts an NCAA championship, title banners (and attendance ones) must go away, along with all signage. Sensitivity, anyone?
3. Uniformity - Any person on the basketball floor must put food and drinks into a uniform cup (this year it’s VitaminWater). It’s all about sterility.
4. Aluminum bats - To get serious for a minute, they’re less safe than wood ones.
5. Emphasis on graduation rates - It’s great to get athletes to graduate, but to borrow a Gary Williams mantra, who wouldn’t leave college early to get a six-figure salary?