- The Washington Times - Sunday, April 5, 2009

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. (AP) - A faster response by emergency officials to the attack at an immigrant services center in Binghamton would have saved no lives, a county prosecutor said Sunday.

Authorities investigating Friday’s massacre at the American Civic Association have faced questions about the speed and manner of the response to the attack, in which a gunman killed 13 people and then himself.

Survivors reported huddling for hours in a basement, not knowing whether they were still in danger.

“We can definitely say no one was shot after the police arrival,” said Broome County District Attorney Gerald F. Mollen.

“Nobody could have been saved if the police walked in the door that first minute,” he said.

Police Chief Joseph Zikuski said police received several 911 calls in broken English even before a wounded receptionist called police to report a gunman was in the building.

He said a review of calls shows police officers were at the scene five minutes before the receptionist’s call. Police had earlier reported that it was that call which brought police to the immigration center.

A SWAT team entered the building at 11:13 a.m. Friday, 43 minutes after the first call to police.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide