- The Washington Times - Monday, April 6, 2009

BINGHAMTON, N.Y. | A faster response by emergency officials to the attack at an immigrant services center in Binghamton would have saved no lives, a county prosecutor said Sunday.

The shooting at the American Civic Association stopped shortly after the first 911 calls came in at 10:30 a.m., but police didn’t enter the building until nearly 45 minutes later.

Survivors reported huddling for hours in a basement, not knowing whether they were still in danger after the gunman, 41-year-old Jiverly Wong, killed 13 people Friday.

Medical examiners who conducted autopsies on the victims reported that their injuries were so severe, they would not have survived, said Broome County District Attorney Gerald F. Mollen.

“Nobody could have been saved if the police walked in the door that first minute,” he said.

The prosecutor’s comments came at a news conference Sunday as officials prepared to release a list of names and home countries of the victims.

Four Chinese were among those killed, and a Chinese student was also shot in the arm and leg but survived, officials said. The other victims came from Haiti, Pakistan, the Philippines, Iraq, Brazil, Vietnam and the United States.

The first 911 calls came in at 10:30 a.m., Police Chief Joseph Zikuski said at a news conference. The callers spoke broken English, and it took dispatchers two minutes to sort out what was happening, he said.

The first patrol cars arrived at 10:33 a.m.

Officers were on the scene five minutes before a wounded receptionist called police to report a gunman in the building, Chief Zikuski said. Police had earlier said it was that call that brought them to the immigration center.

A SWAT team entered the building 43 minutes after the first call to police.

When police got there, the gunfire had stopped, so they believed there was no “active gunman” in the center and decided to wait for the SWAT team to arrive, Chief Zikuski said.

He compared the scene with the 1999 Columbine High School shooting in Colorado, in which 15 people died, including the two teenage gunmen.

“At Columbine, there were numerous shots ringing out, and law enforcement stood by,” he said. “I was quite frankly horrified when I knew that.”

Chief Zikuski said his officers would have gone into the building if shots had still been flying.

“If you arrive on the scene — the first two to four guys — and there’s an active shooter, they enter,” he said.

Pressed on why police didn’t go into the building, Chief Zikuski said information they were getting from the receptionist was still uncertain enough to warrant caution.

Wong was “an avid gunman” who had recently visited a firing range weekly, Chief Zikuski said, but authorities still don’t know his motive.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide