- The Washington Times - Friday, August 21, 2009

BALTIMORE | Two teenagers were arrested Thursday and charged as adults in what police say was the racially motivated beating of an elderly black fisherman.

Zachary Watson, 17, and Emmanuel Miller, 16, told police they were with Calvin E. Lockner when he attacked the man early Tuesday in a city park on the Patapsco River, but they claimed not to have participated in the beating, according to charging documents. The three suspects, all of whom are white, are charged with attempted murder, assault and armed carjacking, among other crimes.

Lockner, 28, a white supremacist who uses “Hitler” as a nickname and has a tattoo of the Nazi leader, was arrested shortly after the beating. He told police the attack would not have happened if the victim had been white, court documents show.

The three gave contradictory statements to police. According to the court files, Lockner told investigators that Mr. Watson beat the victim, while the teens said Lockner was responsible. Mr. Miller told police Lockner forced them to get into the victim’s sport utility vehicle after the beating.

James A. Privott, 76, was punched, kicked and struck with a baseball bat while his assailants yelled racial slurs, according to charging documents in Lockner’s case. The three fled in Mr. Privott’s SUV, which crashed after police tracked it down with the aid of a theft-recovery device, the court files show.

Mr. Miller told police that Lockner had used a bat in the attack, while Mr. Watson said the victim was beaten with a sledgehammer. Mr. Miller also said Lockner had used racial slurs, the documents show.

Online court records do not indicate that Mr. Watson or Mr. Miller has an adult criminal record.

Lockner, who told police he was a member of white supremacist groups including the Aryan Brotherhood, has been incarcerated for most of this decade.

He was charged in 2000 with raping a 38-year-old woman and a 4-year-old girl. He pleaded guilty to second-degree sex offense in the attack on the woman and was sentenced to eight years in prison, records show.

He received another two years in 2007 for violating his probation by failing to register as a sex offender, prosecutors said. He also spent a few weeks in jail this year after he was accused of beating his wife. The charges were dropped.

Mr. Privott lost two teeth and suffered a possible broken eye socket. He was released from the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center on Wednesday night, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Lockner has been ordered held without bail and will be represented by a public defender. It was not immediately clear whether the teens had attorneys.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide