Some of us had to do a double take when we saw the magazine headline: Jessica Simpson and Billy Corgan are dating. How the pop princess and the grunge god even met is anyone’s guess. But perhaps this unlikely couple has actually found a true meeting of the minds — she has tweeted about his “pure and enlightening outlook on faith.”
1. Marilyn Manson and Evan Rachel Wood — The heavily made-up shock rocker with an honorary title in the Church of Satan just got back together with the angelic-looking actress. We hope she knows what she’s doing: He told Spin.com earlier this year, “I have fantasies every day about smashing her skull in with a sledgehammer.”
2. Woody Allen and Soon-Yi Previn — It wasn’t just the difference in age — 35 years — that made this pairing a surprise. It was that Miss Previn was the adopted daughter of Mr. Allen’s longtime love, Mia Farrow. They’re now a respectable married couple of more than a decade and parents to two adopted daughters of their own.
3. Billy Bob Thornton and Angelina Jolie — How did the scruffy then-45-year-old actor manage to land the then-24-year-old actress — possibly the sexiest woman in the world? No one knows for sure, but with Brad Pitt, Miss Jolie has found a much more suitable match.
4. Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley — People were so skeptical of this pairing — the King of Pop and the daughter of the King — that Miss Presley had to declare publicly that their marriage was “sexually active.”
5. Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller — The blond bombshell who desperately wanted to be taken seriously might have thought marrying a socially conscious, intellectual playwright would do the trick. But the marriage failed, and after her death, he unchivalrously portrayed her more than once in his work as a mentally unstable ditz.