- The Washington Times - Tuesday, December 15, 2009



Police injure shooting suspect

A man shot two people in the city’s Brooklyn neighborhood on Monday and was shot by officers, Baltimore police said.

Officer Nicole Monroe, a police spokeswoman, said the man shot a man and a woman in the legs Monday afternoon at Ninth Street and Patapsco Avenue. Officer Monroe said officers arrived at the scene and chased the man before shooting him in the torso.

Officer Monroe said a weapon was recovered, but police did not provide additional details about the shooting or discuss possible motives. Police Commissioner Frederick Bealefeld visited the scene.

The man was taken to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he was in critical condition.

He was the 23rd person shot by Baltimore police last year, topping last year’s total.


Naval sex-assault case dropped

The Naval Academy says there’s not enough evidence to charge anyone with sexually assaulting a female midshipman in June.

The woman, a sophomore at the academy, reported being sexually assaulted while on summer training in Norfolk.

An academy spokesman said in a statement that the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) looked into the incident. The commanding officer of the ship involved reviewed the findings by NCIS and concluded that there wasn’t enough evidence to charge anyone and take the case to military court.

The academy said it won’t release any more details of the case to protect the privacy of those involved.

Another female midshipman reported being sexually assaulted on summer training in July, and that case remains under investigation.


Two rescued from burning boat

Maryland Natural Resources Police said two men were rescued from a burning boat Monday morning off the coast of Ocean City.

Police said David Catrino, 41, of Ocean City, and Ollie Powell, 38, of Berlin, were riding on Mr. Catrino’s boat when it caught fire.

The Viking sport fishing boat caught fire about 200 yards away from 118th Street. Both men safely got off the boat and boarded a nearby boat that was coming to help them.

The cause of the fire was under investigation.


New interchange links I-70, Frederick

The State Highway Administration (SHA) on Monday opened a new interchange to move motorists between Interstate 70 and downtown Frederick.

The exit at state Route 85 is also known as East Street.

The $107 million project is designed to ease congestion and improve access to the downtown MARC train station.

The SHA says it will close a nearby exit at Route 355, also known as Market Street.

The new interchange is equipped with sensors to detect ground movement and potential sinkholes, which have forced lane closures in the past.


DNA crime labs get stimulus funds

Four police crime labs in Maryland will receive $1.2 million in federal stimulus funding, Gov. Martin O’Malley announced Monday.

State police as well as police in Baltimore city and Montgomery and Prince George’s counties will receive funding for their DNA crime labs, Mr. O’Malley said.

State police and the Baltimore police department will receive about $375,000, while Montgomery County will receive $275,000 and Prince George’s County will receive about $210,000.


County IDs inmate who died at jail

Montgomery County police on Monday identified an inmate who died at the county jail.

Police said Thomas Miller, 32, of Rockville, was found early Sunday hanging from his bed with a bedsheet around his neck. He was pronounced dead at a hospital. Correctional officers had been checking on the inmate every half-hour.

No foul play was suspected, but detectives were following protocol and investigating the death. An autopsy was to be performed by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Baltimore.



Man charged with assaulting 7-year-old

Fairfax County police have arrested a man they say sexually assaulted a 7-year-old boy in a park restroom.

Michael Darden, 22, was arrested Saturday. He was charged with aggravated sexual battery and abduction with the intent to defile.

Police said about 11:15 a.m. Saturday, the boy went into a restroom in Lee District Park. He was confronted by a man who assaulted him.

The boy left the restroom and told his mother, who called police. Several people kept the man in their sight until police arrived and arrested him.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide