- The Washington Times - Sunday, December 20, 2009

BAGHDAD | Iraqi troops massed Saturday near an oil well on the border in a standoff with Iranian forces that seized control of the site in a sudden flare-up of tension between the two uneasy neighbors.

The top U.S. diplomat in Iraq said Baghdad’s speedy response to the border incursion showed that Iraq is “not going to be pushed around” by Iran.

The Iraqi troops and border guards were waiting for further orders at a staging ground about a half mile from oil well No. 4 at the al-Fakkah oil field, said an Interior Ministry official at the site who was not authorized to talk to the media.

The Iranian military, meanwhile, denied it had violated Iraq’s sovereignty since the oil well was part of Iranian territory according to a 1975 border agreement, in a statement carried by the Arabic-language Iranian news station al-Alam.

The field is located about 200 miles southeast of Baghdad.

It was not clear, however, whether the Iranian forces who seized the well late Thursday night were still there.

The diplomatic and security standoff began late Thursday, when Iranian forces crossed into Iraq and seized the well that sits just over the border in the southern Maysan province. It was a dramatic display of the occasionally tense relations between the wary neighbors.

The takeover - which included planting an Iranian flag on the well - was met by protests from Baghdad and an emergency meeting of Iraq’s national security council, which denounced the move as a gross violation of Iraqi sovereignty.

Iraqi officials said the well was clearly in Iraqi territory and demanded the Iranians leave immediately. High-level diplomatic talks between Iraq and Iran are continuing, said Iraqi Deputy Foreign Minister Labid Abbawi.

“The situation this morning is the same: the Iranians have not withdrawn from the well,” Mr. Abbawi said. “We are still sticking to our position in demanding an immediate withdrawal of Iranian forces from the oil well.”

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Rahmin Mehmanparast accused foreign media of spreading false news to “disrupt good relations” between Tehran and Baghdad.

“Diplomatic and technical mechanisms” were the way to deal with the issue, said Hasan Kazemi Qomi, the ambassador to Iraq, according to the semiofficial Fars news agency.

Army Gen. Ray Odierno, commander of U.S. forces in Iraq, told reporters that the Iranian forces had withdrawn from the oil well as of Saturday morning. But an oil worker at the field said five Iranians remain inside the well, and the Iranian flag was still flying above it.

It was not clear what kind of Iranian forces had been at the well. An Iraqi official and an eyewitness described them as soldiers. The Iraqi government spokesman described them only as armed men.

U.S. officials said Iran had overstepped its boundaries.

Adm. Mike Mullen, the top American military official, said the U.S. considers the oil site Iraqi sovereign territory.

Christopher Hill, the U.S. ambassador to Iraq, said the incident does speak to the overall view here that they are not going to be “pushed around by Iran.”

However, Adm. Mullen said the incident must be resolved by the Iraqi government, and there were no plans by the United States to intervene.

Once bitter enemies, Iraq and Iran settled into a more positive, if still uneasy, relationship after a Shi’ite-led government came to power in Iraq following the 2003 U.S.-led invasion there.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide