ASSOCIATIONS, GOVERNMENT & NONPROFITS
• Stephen W. Porter, senior counsel at the law firm Arnold & Porter LLP, was inaugurated chairman of the DC Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Porter, who succeeds Washington Business Journal Publisher Alex Orfinger as chairman, has practiced law at Arnold & Porter since 1993. From 1992 to 1994, he served as a member of the advisory board of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a nonpartisan public policy institute in Washington. In 2007, President George W. Bush appointed Mr. Porter a trustee of the National Council on the Arts.
• James L. Atkinson was elected a member of the Washington office of law firm Miller & Chevalier. Mr. Atkinson specializes in federal income taxation, with a particular focus on tax accounting issues.
• Mayer Brown LLP, a global law firm, appointed Michael E. Lackey Jr. to the partnership board at its Washington office. Mr. Lackey is co-office leader of the firm’s litigation practice, group leader of the firm’s electronic discovery and records management group and group leader of its automated practice-support group. He joined Mayer Brown in 1995.
• Timothy Corbett and Shirley Woodward were promoted to partner at global law firm WilmerHale. Ms. Woodward, who joined the firm in 2005, is a counsel in the firm’s litigation and controversy department in the District and a member of the Appellate and Supreme Court litigation practice group. Mr. Corbett is a counsel in the corporate-practice group in London and a member of the firm’s international transactions group.
• Goodman & Co. LLP announced that Jeffrey Levy, certified public accountant in the firm’s Rockville office, was named the accounting firm’s first principal. Mr. Levy, a former senior manager with Goodman, has worked in public accounting for 20 years. Goodman recently created the position of principal as the next step for senior managers before they are eligible to become partners.
• Sodexo Inc. of Gaithersburg promoted Calvin Johnson to president of its hospitals division, effective Jan. 1. Mr. Johnson, who joined Sodexo in 2003 and currently serves as division vice president for hospitals in the company’s Western region, will succeed Dick Desrochers, who has accepted a senior leadership position within the company.
• CGI Group Inc., a Fairfax information technology firm, appointed Dr. James Peake senior vice president for health-industry clients. Dr. Peake will remain a member of CGI Federal’s board of directors. Before joining CGI, Dr. Peake served as secretary of Veterans Affairs from December 2007 to January 2009. The retired Army lieutenant general also served as executive vice president and chief operating officer of Project HOPE, the nonprofit international health foundation.