- The Washington Times - Sunday, December 27, 2009


D.C. police fatally

shoot man in NW

The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating a shooting in Northwest Washington, where a suspect was killed by police.

The shooting occurred Saturday just after 1 p.m. The police department said that officers responding to a 911 call were confronted by 32-year-old Tremaine Flythe.

They said Mr. Flythe was being investigated in connection with an earlier offense and reportedly lunged at officers with the knife.

Officers shot Mr. Flythe, and he was transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at about 4:30 p.m.

Two officers involved in the shooting, members of the police force for five and six years, have been placed on leave, a department policy.

The circumstances of the shooting are still under investigation.



Police identify body as missing man

Baltimore County Police said they have identified a man found dead in a car parked on the grounds of Woodholme Country Club.

Police identified the man as Irving Hurwitz, 78, who had been reported missing by his family.

Foul play was not suspected, but an autopsy will be conducted, police said. The body was found Thursday.


Christmas stabbing suspect sought

Montgomery County Police said a Pennsylvania man who was a guest at a Germantown house was stabbed and critically wounded there early Christmas Day.

Police said Edgar Peralta, 33, of Reading, Pa., was stabbed several times after an argument broke out between a resident of the house and a guest.

Mr. Peralta was taken to a trauma center. The assailant fled, but police said they are searching for Emerson Arnoldo Chavez Estrada in connection with the stabbing.

It was the second reported incident of serious violence in the Washington area on Christmas morning. Metropolitan Police earlier reported a shooting death at a rowhouse in the city’s Northwest quadrant.


Autopsy awaited in girl’s death

Wicomico County Sheriff Mike Lewis enlisted the help of everyone from hunters to homeowners along Maryland’s Eastern shore to find a missing 11-year-old girl, and thousands searched on Christmas with the hope she was alive.

On Friday afternoon, three days after Sarah H. Foxwell was last seen at her home, law enforcement officers found her body near the Delaware state line.

“This is not the way we wanted to find our young lady on Christmas, but at the very least we’ve given closure to the family,” Wicomico County State’s Attorney Davis R. Ruark said at a news conference.

Mr. Ruark said Saturday that an autopsy was being conducted, but he did not expect a cause of death to be released immediately.

Police are continuing their investigation of Thomas J. Leggs Jr., 30, who was charged Wednesday in Sarah’s kidnapping. Leggs, a former boyfriend of Sarah’s aunt, is listed on the Maryland and Delaware sex offender registries.



200 out of work as foundry closes

Once an employer of thousands, the Lynchburg Foundry Co. closed for good Saturday, leaving nearly 200 people out of work.

The company announced two months ago it would close the day after Christmas after its parent company filed for bankruptcy protection.

Lynchburg Foundry and its parent, Intermet Corp., suffered amid slumping automotive sales. Its primary products were automotive parts such as brake calipers and crank shafts, used by the big U.S. automakers and Toyota.

Through its 113 years, thousands worked at the foundry; 16 years ago, the foundry had about 1,300 employees.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide