- The Washington Times - Wednesday, December 30, 2009

KABUL, Afghanistan — The head of a presidential delegation investigating the deaths of 10 people in eastern Afghanistan concluded Wednesday that civilians — including schoolchildren — were killed in an attack involving foreign troops, disputing NATO reports that the dead were insurgents.

Asadullah Wafa, a senior adviser to President Hamid Karzai, told the Associated Press by telephone that eight schoolchildren between the ages of 12 and 14 were among the dead discovered in a village house in the Narang district of Kunar province.

A NATO official has said initial reports from troops involved in the fighting on Sunday indicated that those killed were insurgents — all young men.

Civilian deaths are one of the most sensitive issues for foreign troops in Afghanistan, especially now that some additional 37,000 U.S. and NATO troops are being deployed to the war-ravaged country. Although far more civilians are killed by the Taliban, those blamed on international forces spark widespread resentment and undermine the fight against militants.

Several hundred Afghans protested the deaths Wednesday in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad and in the capital of Kabul. In Jalalabad, they burned President Obama’s effigy and an American flag, chanting “death” to Mr. Obama and Mr. Karzai.

In Kabul, protesters chanted, “Unity, unity, death to the enemy of Islam!” and a protester with a bullhorn called on Obama to “take your soldiers out of Afghanistan.”

Mr. Wafa said he was convinced that all those killed in the Kunar incident were innocent civilians.

“I have talked to the principal of the school in the village, and he gave us details about the killed children,” Mr. Wafa said. “The schoolchildren cannot be al Qaeda. I confirm they are innocent people killed by mistake. I talked to Karzai about the findings.”

The bodies already were buried by the time Mr. Wafa’s team arrived. A joint Afghan-NATO probe will continue to investigate what happened.

Mr. Wafa said the villagers demanded from the 10-member delegation of government officials and lawmakers that informants “who gave the wrong target to the Americans must be found and punished by a court.”

Mr. Karzai said in a statement Wednesday that he talked to the relatives of the Kunar victims to express his condolences and pledge to bring to justice those responsible for the attack.

Col. Wayne Shanks, spokesman for NATO’s International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan, said at a news conference Wednesday the allegations were being investigated together with Afghan authorities.

He said the force takes all such allegations seriously and goes to great lengths to avoid civilian casualties.

“In fact, you can see that our enemy, the insurgents, have very little regard for the Afghan people,” he said. “We have noticed a very dramatic increase in civilian casualties caused by roadside bombs, by attacks that insurgents have on the Afghan people.”

The latest figures released by the United Nations show that 2,021 civilians died during clashes in the first 10 months of this year, up from 1,838 for the same period last year. Taliban insurgents were blamed for 68 percent of the deaths this year, three times more than NATO forces, according to the United Nations.

Associated Press writer Dusan Stojanovic in Kabul contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide