- The Washington Times - Monday, December 7, 2009

A U.S. citizen already under indictment on charges of plotting an attack against a Danish newspaper has admitted to helping plan last year’s terrorist attack in Mumbai that left 170 dead, authorities said Monday.

David Coleman Headley, 49, faces charges including conspiracy to bomb places of public use in India, conspiracy to murder and maim in India, and murder in the deaths of six U.S. nationals in India.

The six Americans — Ben Zion Chroman, Gavriel Holtzberg, Sandeep Jeswani, Alan Scherr, his daughter Naomi Scherr, and Aryeh Leibish Teitelbaum — were killed when a team of Islamist terrorists armed with guns and grenades attacked several sites around Mumbai in November 2008.

Authorities say Mr. Headley made five trips to India in the months and years leading up to the attacks and took pictures and captured video footage of targets that were later attacked by members of Lashkar-e-Taiba, an Islamist group that aims to expel India from the disputed state of Jammu and Kashmir.

Mr. Headley was previously charged with plotting to attack the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten, which published a dozen cartoons in 2005 depicting the Muslim prophet Muhammad, including one in which he has a bomb nestled in the turban on his head.

The Justice Department said Mr. Headley has been cooperating with authorities since his arrest in October.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide