- The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 17, 2009

CLARENCE, N.Y. | Investigators have located key components that might help reveal what the pilot did to try to save Flight 3407 during its final desperate seconds, when the plane plunged to the ground so suddenly that sending a distress signal was impossible, an investigator said Monday.

After a seemingly routine flight, the airplane went into a 26-second plunge before smashing into a house in icy weather about six miles from Buffalo Niagara International Airport Thursday night, killing 49 people on the plane and one on the ground.

On Monday, families of the victims visited the site for the first time and placed roses to remember the dead.

National Transportation Safety Board member Steve Chealander said investigators have located the steering column, or yoke; all the propeller blades; five of six de-icing valves; and rubber bladders designed to protect the tail from ice.

Though ice has emerged as a possible factor, the cause has remained elusive in part because there was no distress call from the pilot, no mechanical failure has been identified, and the plane was so severely damaged.

The crew had turned on the plane’s de-icing system 11 minutes after leaving Newark, N.J. Shortly before the crash, they notified air traffic controllers that they were experiencing significant ice buildup.

Mr. Chealander said Sunday that the pilot appeared to ignore recommendations by the NTSB and his employer that the autopilot be turned off in icy conditions. The autopilot remained on until an automatic system warned that a stall could occur, pushed the yoke forward and shut the autopilot off.

Mr. Chealander acknowledged that it was possible that the pilot overreacted by yanking the yoke back, further destabilizing the plane, but he said that was one of a myriad of possibilities.

Kirk Koenig, president of Expert Aviation Consulting of Indianapolis and a commercial aviation pilot for 25 years, said the airplane may have been in a predicament that would challenge even the most experienced pilots.

For example, if ice were forming on the wings, the pilot would want to put the nose of the plane down and increase power; if the icing were on the tail, the opposite would have been required, pulling the nose up and reducing power.

“Things happened so quickly and they were so low to the ground that it would not have mattered if Chuck Yeager and Neil Armstrong were flying the plane; there wouldn’t have been a different outcome,” Mr. Koenig said.

Mr. Chealander agreed, saying the pilots had their hands full and had no time to send a distress signal. “They were trying to save their lives and the lives of everybody on that airplane,” he said.

The plane’s de-icing system was apparently working, the NTSB has said. That system includes strips of rubber-like material on the wings and tail that expand to break up ice, then contract and expand again to break up new ice.

The victims’ relatives who visited the scene Monday left red roses dangling from temporary fencing and in a semicircle on the ground.

Mr. Chealander said half the plane had been removed by Monday, when the engines were lifted by a crane onto the road and studied. He said a preliminary analysis of the engines was “consistent with high-powered flight,” a sign that they were operating properly at the time of the crash.

The captain, Marvin Renslow, 47, of Tampa, Fla., was thought to be handling the duties of the pilot during the final moments aboard the Dash 8 Q400 plane, operated by Colgan Air. He had 3,379 hours of flying experience but had only flown the Dash 8 since December.

The flight’s first officer, Rebecca Lynne Shaw, 24, of Seattle, had 2,244 hours of experience and had flown the Dash 8 for 774 hours.

Mr. Chealander said investigators would research Mr. Renslow’s and Ms. Shaw’s histories, including what they did for 72 hours before the flight; would analyze the plane’s maintenance records; and were asking pilots who were in the air around Buffalo Thursday whether they encountered ice.

He noted that the pilot of the exact same model of plane that flew from Newark to Buffalo and arrived safely 27 minutes after the crash had reported moderate icing. Another pilot flying well south of Buffalo reported severe ice, Mr. Chealander said.

c AP writers Joan Lowy, William Kates, Carolyn Thompson and John Curran contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide