- The Washington Times - Friday, February 27, 2009

An Iraqi-born naturalized Dutchman on Thursday became the first person convicted by a U.S. criminal court for his part in the Iraq insurgency.

Wesam al-Delaema, 36, pleaded guilty to six charges of conspiring to murder American nationals outside the United States in 2003 by planting roadside bombs targeting U.S. forces in Fallujah - and by video recording himself showing how the bombs would be set off to destroy U.S. vehicles and kill their occupants.

The plea agreement and other court documents say al-Delaema created instructional and recruitment videos to support the insurgency, and urged others to go to Iraq to participate in the fighting and video-record themselves doing it.

The Justice Department said al-Delaema also had agreed to plead guilty next week to one count of aggravated assault in which he kicked a D.C. prison guard unconscious in December 2007.

The guard was hospitalized with “significant injuries, including a subdural hemorrhage,” department spokesman Dean Boyd told United Press International. “This guy was not a nice customer.”

Al-Delaema will serve 25 years for the conspiracy charges, and 18 months concurrently for aggravated assault. Sentencing has been set for April 15. The terms of the extradition deal between the United States and the Netherlands mean that al-Delaema will serve his sentence in a Dutch prison.

Mr. Boyd said al-Delaema remained, as far as he knew, the only person to be criminally charged in the United States with taking part in the insurgency in Iraq - although there had been several convictions of people conspiring to train and travel there for that purpose.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide