- The Washington Times - Sunday, January 25, 2009

Washington fire officials say the Eisenhower Executive Office Building, adjacent to the White House, was evacuated briefly after smoke from a fireplace clouded one of the floors.

Firefighters were called to the building at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest about 1 p.m. Sunday.

Fire spokesman Alan Etter says firefighters extinguished a fire in a fireplace on the second floor. They believe an obstruction in a chimney caused light smoke to build up on the fourth floor. No damage was reported.

The Secret Service evacuated the building for about 30 minutes as a precaution. There were a few people inside the building, which houses White House staff.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide