- The Washington Times - Wednesday, January 28, 2009


Newborn octuplets breathing on own

LOS ANGELES | One day after a California woman gave birth to octuplets, doctors said Tuesday that all eight babies were doing well and breathing on their own.

The woman, who astonished a 46-member medical team at a suburban Los Angeles hospital by delivering eight babies when ultrasound images had shown seven, also was said to be doing well.

The six boys and two girls, born nine weeks prematurely, are only the second set of octuplets known to have survived birth in the United States.

“The first test is the breathing test and … they are breathing on their own,” Dr. Mandhir Gupta told reporters. “They still need some support with oxygen but only through the nose, so most of the work of breathing is done by themselves.”

A second test for the newborns is feeding. The staff at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Bellflower planned to begin that process with four of the babies later Tuesday.

The mother, whose name has been withheld by the hospital at her request, intended to breast-feed all of her babies.


Fund manager turns himself in

TAMPA | A Florida hedge fund manager who disappeared this month just as he was due to pay investors $50 million surrendered to authorities Tuesday to face federal securities and wire fraud charges.

Arthur Nadel, accompanied by two attorneys, surrendered in Tampa, about an hour north of his home in Sarasota, the FBI said.

He was chained at the waist and wrists when he appeared in court later Tuesday. Attorney Barry Cohen said Mr. Nadel is not violent and asked that he be released on his own recognizance. He said Mr. Nadel has emotional problems and does not pose a flight risk, but a federal judge ordered him held at least until Friday.

Asked outside court where his client had been for two weeks, Mr. Cohen said, “He went away for a while just to be alone.”

He declined to say where exactly Mr. Nadel was, and the FBI did not provide details.

Federal regulators last week sued Mr. Nadel for fraud, saying he misled investors and overstated the value of investments in six funds by about $300 million. The Securities and Exchange Commission won a court order freezing his assets.

A criminal complaint unsealed Tuesday in federal court in Manhattan accuses Mr. Nadel of defrauding investors since 2004.


Haggard’s wife aware of ‘battle’

CHICAGO | Former evangelical pastor Ted Haggard’s wife says she knew about his struggles with same-sex attraction for years and felt he was “winning the battle” before a scandal involving a male prostitute triggered his downfall in late 2006.

Gayle Haggard makes the remarks in an appearance with her husband on “The Oprah Winfrey Show,” to air Wednesday. She said she was shocked when Mr. Haggard first told her the truth about the accusations against him.

“The first words out of my mouth were, ‘Who are you?’ ” she said, according to a publicity release issued Tuesday by Harpo Productions.

However, Mrs. Haggard also said her husband told her early in their 30-year marriage that he “struggled with some thoughts.”

“I felt it was the thing that could destroy Ted if he gave in to it,” she said. “So I prayed for him and I felt as though he was winning the battle.”

Mr. Haggard, 52, resigned as president of the National Association of Evangelicals and New Life Church in Colorado Springs after the male prostitute went public. Mr. Haggard confessed to “sexual immorality.”

The scandal widened in recent days with disclosures that Mr. Haggard also admitted to an “inappropriate” relationship with a church volunteer, Grant Haas, who was 22 at the time.


Police chief charged in death resigns

PELHAM | The Massachusetts police chief who is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the death of a boy at a gun show has resigned.

Pelham Chief Edward Fleury’s resignation was accepted by the Board of Selectmen on Monday, three months after 8-year-old Christopher Bizilj accidentally shot himself with an Uzi during a Westfield gun fair.

Mr. Fleury’s company, COP Firearms & Training, sponsored the event. He has pleaded not guilty.

The boy, from Ashford, Conn., was shot in the head Oct. 26 when the gun recoiled as he was firing at a pumpkin. Two men who brought the gun to the show also were indicted.

Board Chairman William Martell tells the Daily Hampshire Gazette that Mr. Fleury’s departure was a “mutual decision.”


Driver found 2 days after crash

JONESVILLE | Authorities said a North Carolina man who spent two nights in his vehicle after crashing down a steep embankment along Interstate 77 was found Tuesday.

Jonesville Police Chief Roger Reece said Miles Grady Brooks, 84, was alive but unresponsive when crews reached his white Cadillac.

Motorists reported on Sunday night that a white Cadillac was traveling the wrong direction on I-77. Officers searched along the highway but couldn’t find any sign of the car, and they issued a public alert for help.

Chief Reece said a farmer feeding his cows saw the car early Tuesday. Authorities said Mr. Brooks was taken to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, but hospital officials said Tuesday afternoon that they weren’t treating a patient by that name.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide