- The Washington Times - Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The former CIA station chief for Algeria is suspected of drugging two women before raping and photographing them in separate attacks, according to court documents.

Court records identify the suspect as Andrew Warren, who is currently under investigation by U.S. Department of State’s Diplomatic Security Service for allegations of aggravated sexual abuse.

According to documents in federal court in the District, Mr. Warren told investigators he had consensual sex with the two women and acknowledged that photographs of the two women were probably on his laptop computer. That information was contained in an affidavit supporting a search warrant for the computer; the results of the search were not included in those documents.

No charges have been filed against Mr. Warren, who is accused by the two women of raping them at a home in Algiers, Algeria. The home is leased by the U.S. government, which give U.S. authorities jurisdiction to investigate the accusations.

One of the women is an Algerian national who lives in Spain but occasionally visits friends and family in Algeria. She told investigators she first met Mr. Warren around late 2007 during a U.S. Embassy function in Cairo, Egypt, where Mr. Warren had previously been stationed.

She said he gave her a tour of his home during a visit on Feb. 17, 2008, according to court records. She said they sat on the couch talking, and at one point Mr. Warren snapped a picture of her using his cell phone.

According to court documents, Mr. Warren made her two apple martinis. The woman said the second made her violently ill, and she began losing consciousness.

She told investigators she was physically paralyzed, but remembered Mr. Warren undressing her to put her into a bath tub and later undressing her and putting her in his bed.

She said she repeatedly asked him, “What’s happening to me?”

Mr. Warren said something to the effect of “nobody stays in my expensive sheets with clothes on,” court records stated.

A few days later, she told investigators, she sent a text message to Mr. Warren accusing him of abusing her. She said she received a message in return from Mr. Warren that said, “I am sorry.”

She told investigators that she told her husband and psychologist about the attack, but didn’t report it to authorities at the U.S. Embassy until she returned to Algeria in September 2008, according to court records.

By that time, authorities had already heard allegations from the other woman, who is also an Algerian national, but holds German citizenship.

That woman told investigators around June 1, 2008, that Mr. Warren had assaulted her after a party at his house between the previous August and September.

She said she drank several whiskeys and cola that Mr. Warren mixed for her. According to court records, one party goer said the woman had been drinking heavily and was intoxicated.

But the woman told investigators that the effects of her final drink was nothing like she had ever experienced from alcohol. According to court records, she immediately got sick and had to run to the bathroom.

She “remembered Warren standing in the bathroom doorway while she was sick, saying that [she] should stay the night at his house,” Special Agent Scott Banker of the Diplomatic Security Service wrote in court records. “After this memory, [she] could not remember anything that happened the rest of the evening.”

The woman said she woke up the next morning completely nude with no memory of how she got there, but knew she had been assaulted, according to court documents. Another party-goer said Mr. Warren had been videotaping her during the party.

CIA spokesman Mark Mansfield declined to comment on the matter but told The Times “I can assure you that the agency will take seriously and follow up on any allegations of impropriety.”

Acting State Department spokesman Robert A. Wood said, “The U.S. takes very seriously any accusations of misconduct involving any U.S. personnel abroad. The individual in question has returned to Washington and the U.S. government is looking into the matter. I refer you to the Department of Justice for any further inquiries on this issue.”

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide