- The Washington Times - Thursday, January 29, 2009


A destructive winter storm left more than a million customers in the dark before barreling into the Northeast on Wednesday, delaying flights and turning the morning rush into the morning slush as communities braced for the worst.

The storm has been blamed for at least 23 deaths and a glaze of ice and snow that caused widespread power failures from the Southern Plains to the East Coast. Authorities said it could be a week before some communities have electricity again.

Tree limbs encased in ice tumbled onto roads and crashed onto power lines in hard-hit Arkansas, Kentucky and Oklahoma on Tuesday and overnight. In Arkansas, where ice was 3 inches thick in some places, people huddled next to portable heaters and wood-burning fires as utilities warned electricity may be out for a week or more.

David Stark had an adventurous trip on Interstate 71 to get to work in La Grange, in northern Kentucky.

“The roads look clear but you can’t do over 40 miles per hour,” he said during a stop at a convenience store for gas and food. “There’s a lot of black ice. I slipped and slid everywhere.”

Since the storm began building Monday, the weather had been blamed for at least six deaths in Texas, four in Arkansas, three in Virginia, six in Missouri, two in Oklahoma, and one each in Indiana and Ohio. Winter storm warnings were in effect from Texas to New England on Wednesday.

Power was being restored to thousands of residents of Oklahoma, which was spared the destruction caused by an ice storm that killed nearly 30 people and darkened a half-million homes and businesses for days about 13 months ago.

But next door in Arkansas, about 300,000 customers lacked power Wednesday morning. At least 470,000 were in the dark in Kentucky, where Pearl Schmidt’s family endured a cold night without power at their Paintsville home.

“We bundled up together on a bed with four blankets. It’s freezing,” she said.

In Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio, nearly 300,000 homes and businesses were in the dark as ice and snow coated parts of the states. Ohio’s top Republican lawmaker, Senate President Bill Harris, slipped on ice outside a hotel near the Statehouse in Columbus, broke a leg and missed the governor’s State of the State address Wednesday.

Air travelers hunkered down at airports throughout the region. Delays or cancellations were reported at airports including those serving Columbus, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, New York and Boston.

The snow and sleet abated somewhat in southeastern Pennsylvania as temperatures rose above freezing later in the day. But in northern and central Pennsylvania, snow accumulations could reach 4 to 8 inches. Up to 8 inches was expected in parts of western Pennsylvania.

The storm was already turning to rain in New Jersey by Wednesday morning, creating a soggy commute.

Some parts of Vermont expected 16 inches of snow, and the entire state was under a winter storm warning through early Thursday. Inland areas of Maine expected 2 feet of snow before the storm ends, and snow also fell over New York and Boston, extending commute times.

Forecasters said northwestern Connecticut could get 8 inches of snow, while Hartford and other inland areas could get 6. The National Weather Service expected the snow to turn into rain in the afternoon and evening.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide