- The Washington Times - Saturday, January 3, 2009

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan | Pakistan reopened the main supply route for U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan on Friday after blocking it for three days during an operation against militants blamed for repeated attacks on convoys in the Khyber Pass, an official said.

Authorities said the operation was a success, but a similar offensive in June failed to curtail attacks and was followed by a controversial peace deal with tribal elders in the northwest Khyber region that U.S. officials say allowed militants to regroup.

The U.S. plans to deploy up to 30,000 additional troops to landlocked Afghanistan next year, further increasing the importance of secure supply routes through Pakistan, which deliver up to 75 percent of the fuel, food and other goods used by Western forces.

Militants have stepped up attacks against convoys passing through Khyber in recent months and have ransacked terminals in the nearby city of Peshawar holding supplies including Humvees intended for the Afghan army.

American officials say the attacks have not affected their ability to operate in Afghanistan, but have acknowledged they are looking for ways to improve security along the route and are investigating alternative ways to deliver supplies. They have praised the Pakistani operation, which started Tuesday and used artillery and helicopter gunships to destroy suspected militant hide-outs.

The top administration official in Khyber, Tariq Hayat Khan, said Friday that the operation would continue, but not close enough to the road through the Khyber Pass to disrupt traffic. He displayed a large cache of weapons seized during the operation, including heavy machine guns and rocket launchers, and said 43 suspected militants had been arrested.

The U.S. also has attempted to disrupt al Qaeda and Taliban militants on the Afghan border by firing missiles from unmanned aircraft.

A suspected U.S. missile strike killed three militants and wounded two others in the South Waziristan tribal area Friday, the second in as many days in the lawless region, said two intelligence officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.

Villager Yar Mohammed said the missile hit an abandoned school in the village of Medan.

Militants in Pakistan’s tribal areas have tried to enforce their strict interpretation of Islam on local residents. Militants in North Waziristan warned Friday that all coeducational schools in the region must close by Monday or officials “will be responsible for their actions.” Clerics read out the warning at mosques during Friday prayers in the region’s main town of Miran Shah.

Many Islamic fundamentalists believe their faith calls for strict segregation of the sexes, and some disapprove of any education of females. Suspected militants have attacked several girls’ schools in Pakistan’s northwest Swat Valley in recent months.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide