- The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 14, 2009



Sailor found dead in barracks

A sailor has been found dead in the Fort Myer barracks, the Navy said.

Navy spokesman Lt. Cmdr. John Daniels said the Naval Criminal Investigative Service is investigating the death after the sailor’s body was found Monday morning. He would not say whether the death is considered suspicious.

Cmdr. Daniels said the sailor was found in a barracks room at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall after failing to report for work.

He would not release the gender or any other information about the sailor.


Closed IT meeting deemed improper

Virginia’s Freedom of Information Advisory Council says the board overseeing the state’s troubled computer superagency improperly closed a public meeting in April.

Monday’s opinion was released as two panels on Capitol Square focused on the Virginia Information Technologies Agency and its contracted corporate partner, Northrop Grumman.

James McGuirk, the chairman of the Information Technology Investment Board, said the meeting was closed to discuss concerns about Northrop Grumman’s performance in a $2.4 billion, 10-year contract.

The council ruled that the reason the information technology board cited for making its April 16 session private were too vague to satisfy the state’s open-meetings law.



Priest convicted of abusing altar boy

A Roman Catholic priest has been convicted of sexually abusing an altar boy at a Germantown church more than seven years ago.

The Rev. Aaron Cote is expected to be sentenced Oct. 14 to 10 years of probation. The former part-time youth minister at Mother Seton parish also must register as a sex offender under a plea agreement announced Monday.

Cote, 57, was convicted of a third-degree sex offense. He pleaded not guilty and was convicted by a Montgomery County Circuit Court judge, who heard a recitation of undisputed facts.

Cote, who now lives in New York City, reached a $1.2 million settlement two years ago with the victim.

The former altar boy claimed Cote repeatedly molested him from June 2001 until June 2002.


Body of man in marina ID’d

Maryland Natural Resources Police have identified a 62-year-old man found dead at a marina in Anne Arundel County.

The body of David Alan Caney was found floating in Shipwright’s Harbor Marina on Herring Bay Road in Deale about 4:15 p.m. Sunday.

Police said he lived on a boat at the marina.

The Maryland Natural Resources Police Special Operation Division is investigating. The body was to be sent to the chief medical examiner’s office in Baltimore for an autopsy.


Police threat cited in man’s shooting

An officer shot an Arnold man threatening to hit another officer with a chair, Anne Arundel County police said.

Anne Arundel Medical Center officials asked police to go to the 50-year-old man’s home in the 1000 block of Deep Creek Avenue about 9 p.m. Sunday after his wife was treated for unspecified injuries.

Police said the man became belligerent, told officers to leave and hit them. Police say the man picked up a chair and raised it toward one officer and the officer’s partner shot the man.

The man was taken to Shock Trauma with injuries that were serious but not considered life-threatening.


Naming to honor fallen Guard member

A Maryland National Guard facility in Salisbury is being named for a member of the Guard killed in Iraq.

Staff Sgt. Michael J. McMullen was the first member of the Maryland National Guard to die in combat since World War II. Sgt. McMullen, who earned a Silver Star, was fatally wounded on Christmas Eve 2005 while trying to rescue another injured soldier.

He was a firefighter and paramedic with the Salisbury Fire Department.

The Maryland National Guard’s Field Maintenance Shop in Salisbury will be named in his honor.


Winner catches 158-pound tuna

The winner of the Ocean City Tuna Tournament caught a 158-pound tuna and less than 24 hours later had to throw back a 160-pound tuna.

Capt. John Oughton and the Ocean City-based crew of That’s Right caught the largest fish in the three-day tournament and were the winners.

Team angler David Salvatre said they caught the 158-pound bluefin tuna Sunday and a tuna Monday that he said weighed at least 160 pounds.

Tournament rules allow each boat to travel up to 100 nautical miles from Ocean City on two out of the three tournament days.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide