- The Washington Times - Thursday, July 23, 2009

A U.S. counterterrorism official says Saad bin Laden, one of the sons of Osama bin Laden, was probably killed earlier this year in Pakistan.

“We believe he is dead, although in all of these instances, unless you have DNA or other hard evidence, you don’t know for sure,” said the official, adding that “other intelligence” led analysts to reach the conclusion he is likely dead.

The son, who is believed to have died in a missile strike by a U.S. predator drone, was not considered a significant player in al Qaeda.

Shortly after the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan in October of 2001, Saad fled the country and went to Iran, where he was held under house arrest for a number of years.

Former Director of National Intelligence Mike McConnell said Saad left Iran last year and was believed to have resettled in the Pakistan-Afghanistan border region.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide