- The Washington Times - Friday, July 24, 2009

ANALYSIS/OPINION:

Your story about the dangers of mercury in the new federally mandated light bulbs was wonderful (“Eco-friendly light bulbs flip switch on problems,” Page 1, Monday). However, it neglected to describe what happens if you break one in your house. I have seen cost estimates of as much as $2,000 to clean the mercury out of a carpet. If you don’t do that, children and pets will pick it up and get it into their systems, which could lead to health issues. The first time that happens, Congress will pass a law requiring sellers to certify that there is no mercury contamination in the house. And there will be a whole new industry devoted to testing houses for mercury, just like lead paint. These things should be made illegal until they can eliminate the hazard to our health and the environment.

GEORGE FISTER

Fairfax

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide