- The Washington Times - Wednesday, July 29, 2009


Ann Geracimos’ interesting article (“Eco-friendly light bulbs flip switch on problems,” Page 1, July 20) did not mention how to clean up if a compact fluorescent bulb (CFL) breaks at home. This reminds me of an article I read several months ago. A homeowner dropped and shattered a CFL bulb on the carpeted floor in a bedroom. She called Home Depot for advice and was told her CFL contained mercury and that she should call the poison control hot line, which in turn told her to call Maine’s Department of Environmental Protection. DEP sent a specialist to her home. The specialist told her the mercury level in her bedroom was six times Maine’s “safe” level and recommended that she hire an environmental cleanup firm. The firm gave her an estimate of $2,000 and sealed off the room with plastic. Her insurance company would not cover the cost of the cleanup because mercury is a pollutant.



Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide