- The Washington Times - Friday, July 3, 2009

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras | A top diplomat said Thursday he is heading to Honduras to demand the return of the president toppled at gunpoint - a mission he said is likely to meet rejection, bringing diplomatic and economic punishment for the impoverished Central American nation.

The head of the Organization of American States, Jose Miguel Insulza, said he plans to travel to Honduras on Friday to insist on the restoration of President Manuel Zelaya, who was ousted in a coup Sunday.

“I will do everything I can, but I think it will be very hard to turn things around in a couple of days,” Mr. Insulza said at a summit of Caribbean leaders in Georgetown, Guyana. “We are not going to Honduras to negotiate. We are going to Honduras to ask them to change what they have been doing.”

The interim government of Roberto Micheletti has so far shown little willingness to do so, arguing that the army acted legally - on orders of Congress and the Supreme Court - when it raided Mr. Zelaya’s house amid the rattle of gunfire and deported him, still in his nightshirt.

The OAS says it will suspend Honduras if Mr. Zelaya isn’t back in office by Saturday, bringing sanctions that could block international aid to one of the poorest nations in the hemisphere.

Neighboring countries have imposed trade blockades; major lenders have cut aid; the Obama administration has halted joint military operations; and all European Union ambassadors have abandoned the Honduran capital.

That has left few channels for negotiating a solution.

An influential pro-Micheletti congresswoman, Marcia Villeda de Facusse, said the new foreign minister, Enrique Ortez, had been placed in charge of meeting with visiting OAS officials once they arrive, and that he would use “abundant proof to try and show that Zelaya violated our laws and that his government damaged everyone in the country.”

Mr. Insulza said he would not meet with members of Mr. Micheletti’s government to avoid legitimizing it. But he will meet with leaders of the Supreme Court and Congress “basically to clarify exactly what our position is.”

Mr. Zelaya’s defense minister, Aristides Mejia, said in an interview broadcast Thursday by HRN radio that Mr. Zelaya has sworn off any idea of re-election and is willing to drop plans to rewrite the constitution that led to his ouster. Mr. Zelaya had ignored a Supreme Court order to halt the constitutional revamp, which many Hondurans thought was meant to let him stay in power.

Mr. Zelaya has vowed to return to the country on Saturday. That sets up a potentially explosive conflict with local officials who have vowed to have him arrested on charges ranging from corruption to treason.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide