- The Washington Times - Wednesday, June 17, 2009


Guard’s funeral to be held Friday

Funeral services for Stephen T. Johns, the security guard who was fatally shot at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum last Wednesday, will be held at 11 a.m. Friday in Emmanuel Baptist Church, 2409 Aingner Place SE.

The viewing for Mr. Johns, who was 39, will begin at 10 a.m., according to a church representative.

Authorities have charged 88-year-old white supremacist James W. von Brunn with first-degree murder in last week’s shooting. Mr. von Brunn, who was shot in the face by guards who returned fire, remains hospitalized. FBI officials say he is likely to survive.

Mr. Johns, who lived in Temple Hills, recently celebrated his first wedding anniversary with his second wife. He also is survived by an 11-year-old son. He had worked at the Holocaust Museum for six years.

Authorities took more than 30 items, including an image of Hitler and Jesus, from the Annapolis apartment where Mr. von Brunn lived with his son and the son’s fiancee.

FBI Special Agent Christy Shaffer said in a search warrant return that officials also seized computers, a handwritten will, a rifle and ammunition.

Hinckley can extend visits from hospital

U.S. District Judge Paul Friedman ruled Tuesday that John Hinckley, the man who tried to kill President Reagan in 1981, can spend more time away from St. Elizabeths Hospital and apply for a driver’s license.

Judge Friedman said that Hinckley’s health probably will improve with more freedom and that he wouldn’t be a danger to himself or others.

The judge ruled that Hinckley can increase the length of his visits to Williamsburg, his mother’s hometown, from six nights at a time to nine. He also will be able to do volunteer work and take driver’s education.

Federal prosecutors opposed increasing the time away.



Man, 21, charged in women’s deaths

Baltimore police said a pawned computer helped them make an arrest in the deaths of two women whose decomposed bodies were found last week in their home.

Police announced charges filed against Mark Floyd, 21, on Tuesday in the deaths of Lydia Steed, 31, and Allisha Royster, 23. Mr. Floyd is charged with first-degree murder, assault and theft. The medical examiner said the women died of multiple stab wounds to the back of their heads June 6 or 7. Their bodies were found days later.

Police said the women were robbed of several items, including televisions, jewelry and a laptop computer. Police said Mr. Floyd pawned the computer June 9, linking him to the crime.


Family files lawsuit in Bay Bridge crash

Contending that a teenage driver was “impaired by alcohol,” relatives of a truck driver killed when his vehicle went off the Chesapeake Bay Bridge filed a $7 million suit Tuesday against the woman whose car crossed the center line, leading to the accident.

On Aug. 10, John Short, 57, of Willards died in his tractor- trailer after crashing over the side of the bridge. Authorities said then-19-year-old Candy Baldwin’s car veered into oncoming traffic moments before Mr. Short drove through the bridge’s wall.

Mr. Short’s widow, children and father filed the suit in Queen Anne’s Circuit Court.

The family says Miss Baldwin, of Millington, had been drinking illegally. Miss Baldwin pleaded guilty to three motor vehicle charges and paid $470 in fines to settle county district court charges.

Her blood-alcohol level was .03, which former state’s attorney Frank Kratovil decided was too low to press criminal charges.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide