- The Washington Times - Wednesday, June 24, 2009

‘Jon & Kate’ take break

TLC’s “Jon & Kate Plus 8” will take a break from production, TVWeek.com says, citing a report from the Los Angeles Times.

After weeks of speculation, Kate Gosselin filed papers Monday in Bucks County, Pa., to end her 10-year marriage - just hours ahead of the night’s highly promoted episode in which she had promised to reveal “changes that would affect the entire family.”

The next episode, to air Monday in its regular 9 p.m. time slot, will be a clip show with some new footage, TVWeek reports. New episodes will return Aug. 3. Just six episodes of the show’s 40-episode season have aired so far.

Recent events in the Gosselins’ marriage have forced TLC to finish episodes as late as the day of airing. As a result, the crew does not have enough new footage to put together fresh episodes, TVWeek said.

Tabloid claims of marital discord and infidelity involving both partners have been in the headlines for months. Still, the show has remained a hit and attracted nearly 10 million viewers to its May 25 season premiere.

On Sunday, the New York Daily News reported that Jon Gosselin was spotted apartment-hunting in Trump Place on New York City’s Upper West Side.

“Over the course of this weekend, Jon’s activities have left me no choice but to file legal procedures in order to protect myself and our children,” Mrs. Gosselin said in a statement Monday night. “While there are reasons why it was appropriate and necessary for me to initiate this proceeding, I do not wish to discuss those reasons at this time, in the hope that all issues will be resolved amicably between Jon and myself. As always, my first priority remains our children.”

‘View’ co-host sued

“The View” co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck has been accused of plagiarism.

According to Associated Press, a lawsuit in federal court in Massachusetts claims Mrs. Hasselbeck lifted “word for word” content from a book on celiac disease written by a self-published author on Cape Cod.

Mrs. Hasselbeck’s book, “The G-Free Diet: A Gluten-Free Survival Guide,” has appeared over the past month on several best-seller lists.

The lawsuit was filed by author Susan Hassett, who says she sent Mrs. Hasselbeck a copy of her “Living With Celiac Disease” book as a courtesy after the TV celebrity disclosed last year that she had the illness.

A lawyer for Miss Hassett declined to comment Tuesday, AP says.

A phone message left with Mrs. Hasselbeck’s agent, Andy Cohen, was not immediately returned.

Blast from the past

Looks like “Melrose Place” is getting more tenants - Josie Bissett will return to her old haunt when the new incarnation of the show airs on the CW network this fall, People.com reports.

Miss Bissett will reprise her role as Jane Andrews Mancini, sister to Laura Leighton’s Sydney Andrews, in at least one episode and may do more, an unnamed source tells the Web site. Miss Bissett joins original “Melrose” cast mates Miss Leighton and Thomas Calabro.

FX nabs ‘Proposal’

FX has said “I do” to “The Proposal,” securing the TV rights to last weekend’s box-office winner, which stars Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds.

The cable network already has secured the TV rights to “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen,” which opens today and is expected to be next weekend’s box-office champ.

FX sealed a standard four-year movie license deal with Disney for “The Proposal,” which opened with a strong $34.1 million domestic gross over the weekend. FX ultimately will pay 12 percent of the final gross for the film, which will be available to the cable network in late 2011, Variety said.

As is standard, Disney will retain rights to carve out a broadcast run or two for “The Proposal” during FX’s window.

As part of the deal, FX also picked up the rights to the Miramax release “Adventureland,” which has grossed about $16 million at the box office.

It’s been a busy summer of acquisitions for FX, which also has secured the rights to previous box-office winners “Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian,” “Star Trek,” “Monsters vs. Aliens” and “X-Men Origins: Wolverine,” Variety notes.

One of the few summer box-office champs FX hasn’t secured, “The Hangover,” has gone to Turner as part of a larger Warner Bros. package, Variety says.

GMC tries HD

Cable’s Gospel Music Channel has completed production on the first HD version of its talent show “Gospel Dream,” debuting tonight at 10.

While the channel has not yet launched an HD feed and the six-part series will air only in standard definition, the move to HD production is part of GMC’s plan to build up its HD library for the eventual launch of an HD simulcast. In April, GMC also had the Gospel Music Association’s 40th annual Dove Awards program shot in HD.

“These kinds of shows can be extremely expensive to do on all levels,” said Paul Reeves, executive producer of “Gospel Dream” and owner of the Nashville, Tenn., production company Tangible Vision, which has overseen the production of the show for the last four years. He was speaking to Multichannel.com.

“We had wanted to move to HD for some time, but with budget considerations, it just didn’t make sense. The channel is, however, trying to build up an HD library, and we felt this year was the year to make the move,” Mr. Reeves said.

The talent show, often called “American Idol” for the Christian-music world, includes behind-the-scenes elements and music performances in front of a live audience.

Knight moves

T.R. Knight has booked his first role since negotiating an early release from ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy,” TVGuide.com reports.

The actor will star in a production of the Alfred Uhry-penned musical “Parade,” opening Oct. 4 at the Mark Taper Forum in Los Angeles.

“Parade” tells the the true story of Leo Frank, an Atlanta pencil-factory manager who in 1913 was convicted in the rape and murder of a 13-year-old female employee. When doubt ultimately was cast on his guilt, Frank’s death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment. Soon after, however, he was kidnapped from prison and lynched.

Mr. Knight will star as Frank, and Lara Pulver (“Robin Hood”) will play his wife, Lucille.

“Parade” previews start Sept. 24, with the show running through Nov. 15. Tickets for the show go on sale Friday, TVGuide. com says.

c Compiled by Robyn-Denise Yourse from Web and wire reports.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide