- The Washington Times - Thursday, March 12, 2009

BELFAST, NORTHERN IRELAND (AP) - The commanders of Ireland’s two police forces pursued a common strategy Thursday for catching Irish Republican Army dissidents responsible for a new wave of violence, amid fears their next attack could be a car bomb.

Commissioner Fachtna Murphy and other senior officers from the Republic of Ireland discussed better coordination of anti-terrorist activities with Chief Constable Hugh Orde, commander of the Police Service of Northern Ireland.

Their talks at Orde’s headquarters in Protestant east Belfast focused on intensified surveillance and eavesdropping of members of two splinter groups, the Real IRA and Continuity IRA, which have claimed responsibility for the past week’s fatal shootings of two soldiers and a policeman.

After their meeting, Orde said both police forces were “determined to bring those responsible for these despicable murders over the last week to justice.”

Murphy pledged his force’s “continued support in tackling and frustrating this small group of criminals.”



Both breakaway groups are strongest along Northern Ireland’s 225-mile (360-kilometer) border with the Irish Republic _ a frontier that is normally wide open now because of Northern Ireland’s largely successful peace process.

The Republic of Ireland’s police force, the Garda Siochana, said three of its elite squads _ the National Surveillance Unit, Emergency Response Unit and Special Detective Unit _ had deployed officers to the border, where they were providing shadowy backup to an overt show of strength designed principally to reassure the public.

Since Tuesday, police on the Republic of Ireland side have been stopping and searching vehicles bound for Northern Ireland. The searches cover only the biggest of more than 100 cross-border roads.

Thursday’s security strategy conference occurred against a backdrop of mounting grief in Northern Ireland’s security forces.

The British Army held a memorial service Thursday afternoon in honor of two Corps of Royal Engineers soldiers _ Cengiz “Patrick” Azimkar, 21, and Mark Quinsey, 23 _ who were gunned down Saturday outside their army base as they collected pizzas from delivery men. They were the first soldiers killed in Northern Ireland since 1997. The Real IRA claimed responsibility for that ambush, which also wounded two other soldiers and both pizza couriers.

And hundreds of mourners arrived at the home of Constable Stephen Carroll, 48, to attend his wake. Carroll, an English-born Catholic and 23-year veteran, was shot through the head Monday as he sat in his patrol car. The Continuity IRA said it killed him.

His widow Kate gave an interview to Ulster Television that was broadcast across Britain and Ireland. She spoke of their last moments at the door as he went to work _ and he wondered aloud whether the dissidents might try to kill him that night, with barely 18 months to go to retirement.

“He thought this war was over, but obviously not, and I just can’t believe that this has all started up again,” Kate Carroll said.

She nonetheless expressed the hope that his killing might be the last of Northern Ireland’s four-decade conflict, which has already claimed more than 3,700 lives. “I just hope he hasn’t died in vain,” she said.

Before the past week’s killings, Orde repeatedly warned that his anti-terrorist detectives believed a rise in dissident violence was imminent. Since November 2007, both dissident groups have mounted more than 20 gun, bomb and rocket attacks on police, wounding seven _ but killing none until Monday.

Carroll was the first police officer killed in Northern Ireland since 1998, the year rival British Protestant and Irish Catholic politicians struck the Good Friday peace accord. Today’s dissidents hope to unravel that deal, which inspired the IRA’s 2005 decision to disarm and 2007’s formation of a joint Catholic-Protestant government.

The dissidents have not detonated a car bomb in Northern Ireland since August 1998, when the Real IRA killed 29 people, mostly women and children, on a crowded street in the town of Omagh.

But they have tried repeatedly in recent years. More than a half-dozen car bombs have failed to do damage because of faulty construction, police interception or dissident second thoughts.

In the most recent threat, dissidents abandoned a 300-pound (150-kilogram) car bomb Jan. 26 several miles (kilometers) short of their target, a British Army base, citing unexpected police checkpoints on the road. Army explosives experts said that fertilizer-based bomb was more expertly constructed than the dissidents’ previous failures, most of which involved ill-judged attempts to detonate fuel cylinders.

___

On the Net:

Kate Carroll interview, https://stream.u.tv/shows/news/carrollkate.wmv

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide