- The Washington Times - Friday, March 13, 2009

LITTLE ROCK, ARK. (AP) - Hospital officials say 10 children drank windshield wiper fluid after a staffer at Arkansas daycare center mistook the liquid for Kool-Aid.

Hilary DeMillo, a spokeswoman at Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock, says one of the 10 children who drank the fluid Thursday afternoon is still hospitalized Friday morning.

Pediatric pharmacologist and toxicologist Laura James says the child’s blood samples had high levels of methanol, which can cause blindness.

James tells The Associated Press that the daycare staffer put the windshield wiper fluid in a refrigerator accidentallly after a shopping trip. Doctors estimate the children, ages 2 to 7, each drank about an ounce of the fluid before realizing what it was.

Julie Munsell, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Human Services, says child welfare officials planned to visit the Scott community daycare Friday. Munsell did not know the name of the daycare.


Information from: KATV-TV, https://www.katv.com/

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide