- The Washington Times - Friday, March 13, 2009

New Washington Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth was indicted this week on two misdemeanor driving charges stemming from a December crash in Brentwood, Tenn.

Haynesworth, who signed a seven-year contract Feb. 27 that includes $41 million guaranteed, turned himself in to authorities Wednesday night and was taken to the Williamson County jail, where he posted a $1,000 bail and was released after an hour.

The charges are for reckless driving and driving a vehicle with expired registration.

Haynesworth’s next court date is scheduled for March 30, but District Attorney Kim Helper said he isn’t required to attend. The Redskins still expect Haynesworth to be present Monday for the opening of offseason conditioning at team headquarters in Ashburn, Va.

According to witness Kelly Dean, Haynesworth was driving his 2008 black Ferrari at a high speed on the morning of Dec. 13 along Interstate 65. It’s unclear how fast he was driving, but Dean said her car was traveling at nearly 80 mph in a 70-mph zone and Haynes worth easily passed her.

Haynesworth reportedly swerved across two lanes and made contact with Corey Edmondson, who lost control of his car and crashed into a concrete barrier.

“The incident report said [Haynesworth’s car] struck the driver side door and the injured party indicated there was contact, and based on the civil attorney of the victim, there was at least a paint transfer,” Helper said Thursday.

Edmondson’s attorney, Jon Perry, told the Tennessean that the 25-year-old has been unable to walk or work since the accident. A Web site was established Feb. 27 to raise funds for Edmondson. The site says “after having multiple surgeries, he ultimately required hip replacement surgery. Edmondson still can only move by wheelchair or walker.”

According to the site, Edmondson has accumulated $230,000 in medical expenses.

A phone call to Perry’s office wasn’t returned. Haynesworth didn’t speak to reporters after paying bail; his agent, Chad Speck, didn’t return a phone message.

Haynesworth was on probation at the time of the accident.

“It’s not a probation violation per se because we didn’t hear about the new accident until after the expiration of the probation,” Helper said.

Last March, Haynesworth was clocked going 103 mph in a 70-mph zone. He pleaded guilty to speeding, which carried a $1,000 fine. His 30-day probation started Dec. 9.

The maximum punishment for the reckless driving charge is six months in jail and a $1,000 fine, and for the expired registration charge it is 30 days in jail and a $50 fine.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide