- The Washington Times - Friday, March 13, 2009

NEW DELHI (AP) - India said Friday it has handed over more information to Pakistan about the terror attack in Mumbai and urged its neighbor to take quick action against the plotters.

India says all 10 assailants in the three-day siege in November that left 164 dead were from Pakistan. It has blamed Lashkar-e-Taiba, an Islamist militant group widely believed to have been created by Pakistani intelligence agencies in the 1980s to fight Indian rule in the divided Kashmir region.

India’s top security official, Home Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram, told reporters that the new documents answered all of the questions that Pakistan had raised last month.

“Anyone who is serious about investigating the origins of the Mumbai attacks will find that there is enough material to take the investigation forward,” Chidambaram said. “We expect Pakistan to take the investigation forward quickly, apprehend all the culprits and either hand them over to India for prosecution and punishment or prosecute and punish them in Pakistan.”

In January, India handed over a dossier of evidence to Pakistan that included information on interrogations, weapons and data gleaned from satellite phones that reportedly linked Pakistan-based militant groups to the attacks, which targeted luxury hotels, a Jewish center and other sites across Mumbai.

Pakistani officials acknowledged last month that the attacks were partly plotted on their soil and announced criminal proceedings against eight suspects. They also acknowledged that Mohammed Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman, is a Pakistani national.

But Pakistan also said it needed more information from India, including fingerprints of the 10 gunmen, DNA from Kasab and details of intercepted phone conversations between the militants and their handlers.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide