- The Washington Times - Tuesday, March 17, 2009

HALE, MICH. (AP) - Authorities say a Head Start teacher’s aide in Michigan has died from bacterial meningitis.

Letters have been sent to parents of children in the Hale school district reassuring them that it is safe to send their youngsters to school.

WNEM-TV reports the woman died after going to a hospital Saturday complaining of an earache.

Officials say she worked at a building that also houses the Hale school district’s elementary and middle school.

The Head Start room where she worked has been cleaned.

Meningitis is an infection of the fluid that surrounds the spinal cord and brain. It can be caused by a virus or bacteria, and bacterial meningitis is more dangerous.

Hale is about 140 miles north of Detroit.


Information from: WNEM-TV, https://www.wnem.com

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide