- The Washington Times - Friday, March 27, 2009

CAIRO (AP) - The militant group al-Qaida in the Arab Peninsula is reportedly claiming responsibility for an attack earlier this month in Yemen that killed four South Korean tourists and their Yemeni driver.

In a statement posted on an Islamic Web site, the organization said the attack was intended to force the South Koreans out of Arab lands and to avenge the killing of al-Qaida operatives in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The statement was also carried by the U.S.-based SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors militant messages on the Web.

The statement’s authenticity could not be independently verified.

Yemeni authorities have said al-Qaida was behind the bombing.



Yemen, the ancestral home of Osama bin Laden, has long been home to Islamic extremists in its remote hinterland.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide