- The Washington Times - Tuesday, March 31, 2009

MANILA, PHILIPPINES (AP) - The head of the Philippine Red Cross made a last-minute appeal to al-Qaida-linked militants to spare three Red Cross hostages as a Tuesday deadline for their beheading expired.

The militants have threatened to decapitate one of the hostages if government troops do not pull back from their stronghold. The government has said it cannot comply after it already pulled back forces last week.

“The whole family of the Red Cross prays for you and I’m proud of the way you’ve comported yourself,” Sen. Richard Gordon said on nationwide television, his voice breaking and wiping away tears as he mentioned the names of the captives. “I’m sorry I should be stronger than you because I’m not in midst of the ordeal you’re in now.”

There is no word from the Abu Sayyaf militants about the fate of the hostages _ Filipino Mary Jean Lacaba, Swiss Andreas Notter and Italian Eugenio Vagni.

“The decision of the group is to behead if there will be no pullout,” Abu Sayyaf commander Abu Ali told The Associated Press in a cell phone text message early Tuesday from the militant jungle stronghold on Jolo island.



“There will be no extension of the deadline for the pullout and we have no plan to release any hostage if there will be no pullout,” he said.

Interior Secretary Ronaldo Puno said Monday it was impossible for the government to vacate 15 Jolo villages by 2 p.m. Tuesday as demanded by the militants a day earlier. He said there was not enough time and that a wider pullout would leave the island’s civilian population exposed to militant attacks.

Puno hinted the government was ready to use force if the militants harm any of the hostages. Some 120 gunmen have held the aid workers in a hilly jungle in Jolo’s Indanan town since Jan. 15. Until a recent withdrawal, they were surrounded by more than 1,000 troops.

Conceding to earlier militant demands, the marines withdrew to their camp last week, and police and militiamen moved back from the Abu Sayyaf stronghold by six to nine miles (10-15 kilometers), hoping the group would release one hostage.

But the militants insisted the troops must pull back to two villages near the provincial capital _ a demand the government says would lead to anarchy.

At the Vatican on Monday, the pope appealed for the release of the hostages, urging that “humanitarian sense and reason win out over violence and intimidation.” He called for authorities to work for a peaceful solution.

The president of the International Committee of the Red Cross reiterated his appeals for the hostages’ freedom.

The hostages were seized after visiting a water project for a jail on Jolo, a predominantly Muslim region about 590 miles (950 kilometers) south of Manila.

The Abu Sayyaf group has beheaded hostages in the past, including an American in 2001 as well as seven Filipinos in 2007.

The U.S. government has placed the Abu Sayyaf, which has about 400 gunmen, on its list of terrorist organizations.

___

Associated Press writer Hrvoje Hranjski contributed to this report.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide