- The Washington Times - Saturday, May 23, 2009

MONTREAL | A Rwandan man was found guilty Friday of war crimes committed during his country’s 1994 genocide, becoming the first person convicted under a new Canadian law that allows residents to be tried for crimes committed abroad.

Desire Munyaneza, 42, faces a possible life sentence. He was found guilty of all seven charges against him, including genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes for his role in the rape and slaughter of at least 500,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus in Rwanda.

“The educated son of an important bourgeois family in Butare, Desire Munyaneza was at the forefront of the genocidal movement,” Quebec Superior Court Justice Andre Denis said in his landmark ruling that followed six months of deliberations.

The judge found that Munyaneza sought to destroy the Tutsi ethnic group in Butare and the surrounding area.

“To that end, he intentionally killed Tutsi, seriously wounded others, caused them serious physical and mental harm, sexually assaulted many Tutsi women and generally treated Tutsi inhumanely and degradingly,” Justice Denis noted in his written decision.

The judge also said Munyaneza was among a group of assailants who killed hundreds of Tutsi refugees at a church.

Munyaneza, a Hutu, is the first defendant to be tried under the Canadian War Crimes Act, passed in 2000.

“I’m very happy he was found guilty. I want to thank and congratulate Canada,” Caesar Gashabeze, a genocide survivor, said outside court. “We have been waiting for this.”

Munyaneza was living in Toronto when he was arrested in October 2005 after reports that he had been seen circulating among Canada’s Rwandan community. At the time, African Rights, a Rwandan group that has documented the genocide, linked Munyaneza to key figures indicted by the U.N. International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.

During his trial, more than 66 witnesses testified in Montreal and in depositions in Rwanda, France and Kenya, often behind closed doors to protect their identities. Many accused Munyaneza, who was 27 at the time, of being a ground-level leader in a militia group that raped and murdered dozens.

Munyaneza’s defense centered on claims that many of the witnesses’ testimony was faulty and that many were unable to identify his prominent facial scar.

Defense attorney Richard Perras said he would appeal. A sentencing hearing was scheduled Sept. 9.

Canada denied Munyaneza refugee status in September 2000 and he has since lost several appeals. Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Board also found there were reasons to believe he had participated in crimes against humanity.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide