- The Washington Times - Sunday, May 31, 2009

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan | The Taliban has fled the Pakistani army’s advance on the main town in the Swat Valley, delivering the military a strategic prize in its offensive against militants in the country’s northwest, commanders said Saturday.

Taliban fighters had dug themselves into bunkers built into hotels and government buildings in Mingora, and initially offered stiff resistance as troops first closed roads leading to the town and then began moving in earlier this week, army spokesman Maj. Gen. Athar Abbas said.

Aid was being distributed to some of the estimated 20,000 who were trapped in Mingora, and water and gas supplies were being restored. But Gen. Abbas said it would be at least two weeks before power is switched back on, and refugees were not yet being encouraged to start returning to their homes.

About 3 million people have fled the fighting in Swat, and the exodus has raised fears of a humanitarian crisis.

Gen. Abbas said an unknown number of militant fighters were able to escape the Mingora town despite the military having it surrounded, raising the prospect that they could return to the fight elsewhere.

The military launched a major offensive about one month ago in the Swat Valley and neighboring areas to oust Taliban militants who had been extending their control over the northwestern region near the border with Afghanistan.

U.S. and other officials say the lawless border region is being used by al Qaeda and the Taliban as a base to plan and launch attacks on Western forces in Afghanistan, and they see the offensive as a test of Pakistan’s resolve to fight extremism on its soil.

Government troops had been advancing steadily into the Swat region for about a month, bombarding towns from the air and fighting house-to-house with Taliban gunmen in some places.

“When they realized that if they did not leave these areas the noose would tighten around them and they would not find a way to leave … they decided to end the fight and leave,” Gen. Abbas said.

Information Minister Qamar Zaman Kaira said the number of people uprooted from their homes by the fighting had reached “around 3 million,” and that more than 190,000 of them were living in refugee camps. The rest are staying with relatives or relying on goodwill from local residents.

The Taliban has warned it will launch terrorist strikes in Pakistani cities in retaliation for the campaign, and claimed responsibility for last Wednesday’s gun and suicide bomb attack in the eastern city of Lahore that killed at least 30 people. A day later, three suicide bombings killed at least 14 people in two cities in the northwest.

Gen. Abbas said Saturday that 1,217 militants have been killed in the Swat offensive and 79 arrested, and 81 soldiers have died. The military has not released civilian casualty numbers and says care is being taken to protect the innocent.

The figures could not be independently verified because media have been restricted from traveling in the region.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide