WEEKEND REWIND IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Navy wins in South Bend again — Looking at the stats from Saturday’s game, you would be hard-pressed to believe Navy won at Notre Dame two years after ending its 43-game losing streak against the Irish. Notre Dame put up 512 yards of offense but turned the ball over three times, while the Midshipmen had zero turnovers. Navy is now bowl eligible again, and Notre Dame’s dreams of a BCS bowl were dashed. Irish coach Charlie Weis won’t like to hear it, but if his squad can’t reach a BCS bowl with a schedule that features only two teams currently ranked, then it may be time for Notre Dame to find someone who can.
Redskins’ rally falls short in Atlanta — It’s a sad reflection on the Redskins franchise when cutting a 21-point halftime deficit to seven points in the second half is considered an accomplishment. Jason Campbell was battered all day behind a patchwork offensive line and was knocked out of the game twice, while the Redskins’ defense lost its composure multiple times, committing one stupid penalty after another. The defense’s performance might have been a worse reflection on Jim Zorn than losses to Detroit and Kansas City because this was the first time players on the Redskins’ strongest unit appeared to have checked out mentally.
TWT FIVE REPLACEMENTS FOR CHARLIE WEIS AT NOTRE DAME
1. Jim Harbaugh — If the former quarterback can turn Stanford into a Pac-10 contender, why can’t he do the same at Notre Dame?
2. Brian Kelly — The Cincinnati coach is this year’s hot coaching candidate, but his competition in the Big East has been below average at best.
3. Paul Johnson — The former Navy coach has won at a program with tough academic standards, and maybe the Fighting Irish are tired of being embarrassed by the triple option.
4. Skip Holtz — He certainly has the right last name, but buzz around his East Carolina program has dropped off thanks to a 5-4 record.
5. Chris Petersen — The Boise State coach would be an absolute long shot, but imagine what his offense (41.4 points a game) could do with Notre Dame recruits.
HE SAID WHAT?
“Being a running back, you have to lower your shoulder and just punish him - punish him for trying to tackle me.”
— Wisconsin running back Montee Ball, who overpowered an Indiana defender on a TD